The BEST RIDING BIKES...what's your top three of all time ?

Re: Re:

jimi911":5ignm7ed said:
I get an opportunity to ride a lot of vintage mtbs ... geeze 12 this year alone :shock:. I gotta agree with sinnerman on the component group thing. Put a good premium set of your favourite components on any mid to high end frame and its going to give you good performance (within reason obviously - there were dogs). Add in a good fit for your body and you probably have a winner.

My top bikes have changed a bit after another year of riding.

1. 1993 Brodie BHDT - It has a xt735 premium group, avid tris, NOS drive-train and long travel mag21. It just does everything well. With the forks setup for hits it climbs and descends well. Its just a rocket over quick single track which is what I ride. Great fit.

2. 1991 Kestrel CSX (uber light 20lbs) - Suntour XC Pro - I REALLY like that group. Again, avid tris and a NOS drive-train. These things are stiff, and jarring over rough patches but its so fast and responsive. Did I mention if really like the XC Pro ;)

3. 1993 Fat Chance Yo Eddy - Full XTR and a NOS drive-train. I don't ride this that much, but it really is pretty spot on. So good on tight single track and easy to toss around.

The Fat was my #2 last year - Probably would be #1 with a set avid tri aligns.

Honourable mentions - 1996 Spesh M2 and 1989 Gary Fisher CR7.

What do you mean by "long travel mag21?"
Kes

Re:

You used to be able to buy a kit that increased the travel from rockshox 95/6 iirc added 20mm i think. Ground breaking stuff bitd

Re: Re:

scottproonly":1dqnk9sv said:
jimi911":1dqnk9sv said:
I get an opportunity to ride a lot of vintage mtbs ... geeze 12 this year alone :shock:. I gotta agree with sinnerman on the component group thing. Put a good premium set of your favourite components on any mid to high end frame and its going to give you good performance (within reason obviously - there were dogs). Add in a good fit for your body and you probably have a winner.

My top bikes have changed a bit after another year of riding.

1. 1993 Brodie BHDT - It has a xt735 premium group, avid tris, NOS drive-train and long travel mag21. It just does everything well. With the forks setup for hits it climbs and descends well. Its just a rocket over quick single track which is what I ride. Great fit.

2. 1991 Kestrel CSX (uber light 20lbs) - Suntour XC Pro - I REALLY like that group. Again, avid tris and a NOS drive-train. These things are stiff, and jarring over rough patches but its so fast and responsive. Did I mention if really like the XC Pro ;)

3. 1993 Fat Chance Yo Eddy - Full XTR and a NOS drive-train. I don't ride this that much, but it really is pretty spot on. So good on tight single track and easy to toss around.

The Fat was my #2 last year - Probably would be #1 with a set avid tri aligns.

Honourable mentions - 1996 Spesh M2 and 1989 Gary Fisher CR7.

What do you mean by "long travel mag21?"
Kes

Standard Mag 21 travel is about 46mm, they can be converted to 'long-travel' which is about 63mm :) ....pm me if you want yours done ;)

Cheers :)

Raleigh Grifter

Custom made racer unknown I bought from a guy in London back in the day.

Early 90s Klein Attitude, but it was ridden at my life peak of fitness so I can't compare it genuinely in terms of ride quality.

Re:

My 1986 Ridgeback 602 was a good bike steel for its day, tourer, long mountain rides, commuting and bouncing round on rocky beaches.

Then a late '80's chr-mo Ridgeback 604gx (i think) that I narrowed the chainstays for tyre clearance and welded a disc-mount on to fit Hope cable disc brakes. Even used it years later in DH hardtail class with fat 24" wheels.

A no-name alloy 16" far-eastern frame my brother got from Merlin cycles, early '90's, was £116 and rode wonderfully......it cracked after a couple of years and they gave him a big discount on a new frame. That basic original was way ahead of its time , sharp steering, agressive, good clearance and felt like a big bmx.

My curent fave ride is a 2000 bike so best not mention it here I guess.

Really enjoyed reading everyone's posts about the early days

Latest posts

Back