tesco questionable marketing

al":2e5qe0o9 said:
Looks like the Co-op's standards have dropped!!

My driving Instructor was also the manager of our local Oxfam and he was one of the most racist people i have ever come across.

These two observations are in no way linked.

Al.

Yeah I left a while ago now. They probably have gone downhill since then.

One random example of an 'ethical' product being not quite as it seems...

http://blog.moneysavingexpert.com/2007/ ... edit-card/

Like I said, believe the marketing if you want, but ask yourself who's really being ignorant.

i read the other week that for every pound you spend...wherever you spend it, about 8 pence of it will end up with tesco.

Cons and mind games, as well as bumping into loads of people you are not in the mood to see, all scraggled and after some bits and pieces. Thats the Tesco experience! :LOL:

We're lucky here to have an awesome organic independent co-operative store that cares when we make teh effort to get down there. its awesome everything costs, what it cost them plus a modest profit, no mind games, pick up what ya want and pay for it. They don't sell everything, its vegan, and the range is limited, but thats good, in, goods, out, winz0rs. :cool: Same with a local worldwide store, fresh goods, nice n cheap. :cool:

viva le revolution?

chris667":1b5ejny9 said:
I wasn't talking about Darwinian theory at all. Where did that come from?
You mentioned the phrase "survival of the fittest" as used by Darwin (though it wasn't he who coined it) - I simply expanded upon the point that the intent behind the phrase is usually misconstrued.

I'm talking about a couple of companies changing society for the worse and threatening the existence of future generations.
I'd say it's society's fault in itself - would these hyper-companies exist if there wasn't the demand for them? Bit of a chicken/egg situation really, and I can see it from both sides.

Or possibly, we'll all die because we've poisoned our planet making easily available consumer goods.
Here's a thought - the human race will eventually become extinct, by our own hand or from an external disaster - and what would it matter? Why does it matter if the human race survives or dies out? The planet will recover from humanity's effects on it, probably in much shorter a time than we would expect. We are simply a blip in its existence, of no more consequence than fleas on an elephant.

Funnily enough, many people claim to be environmentalists, yet quite possibly the best thing for the global environment as a whole would be for our species to stop existing altogether. So really what they really want is an environment capable of supporting and sustaining human life - which would make them humanists in my eyes! Not that that's a bad thing, more an interesting point to consider.

I think we will have to agree to disagree on this one.
No worries...! :D See, isn't reasoned debate fun! I do apologise for the slightly inflammatory comment earlier in the thread though, but look where it lead...

I get my fruit and veg from a greengrocer. Yes, we still have one here in Canterbury and it's a proper one. It's been there ever since I moved here in the late 70s. For me it's a 5 mile round trip so it's not something I can do whenever I feel like it. I either walk or use my bike as I don't have a car (never have and never will).

I also use my local butcher. The stuff he sells is far better, both in quality and value, than anything the supermarkets provide.

Back