Team Raleigh

Re:

I think if they seem to be favoured in this country over other lightweights it has roots in the fact that in the second half of the '70s they were a facsimile of the only recognisably British presence in the continental peloton. The star riders were mostly Dutch, and probably some of the frames were too, but I guess a patriotic Brit could still get some sort of vicarious emotional payoff from seeing a yellow jersey with 'Raleigh' on it. Back then there were some few makes of frame a Brit could get hold of which said, to the few people who might notice: "I ride what the pros ride". The Team Raleigh said, to a (hopefully) slightly larger quantity of people: "I ride what the pros ride on the Continent".

I'd say that for any volume bike manufacturer that had a pro peloton presence, there were basically three or four levels of bike/frame:

At the top: frames custom-built by an artisan framebuilder for a specific rider, either inside an outfit like SBDU, in the case of Raleigh, or commissioned 'unofficially' by the rider from his preferred framebuilder and branded so as to be indistinguishable from a true 'team issue' frame. Top-end components.

Next down: 'Team replica' bikes/frames more or less mass-produced on a production line using stock geometry and sizes, but the same basic materials and components as above, necessarily assembled- for better or worse- with less attention to detail- 531db, Campag. ends, often Prugnat lugs or similar, fitted with the same top-end components as above.

Intermediate: basically the same frame as above but fitted with 'price-point' components.

Bottom: Mass-produced bikes using more or less heavier tubing, utilitarian lugs, plain ends, etc., fitted with 'budget' components, frames finished in 'team' colours.

You can find a so-called 'Team Raleigh' which fits into any of those categories. Any real performance distinction between the top two levels is debateable- Tours, races, stages, have no doubt been won on both- so any distinction is basically a cachet thing these days, and maybe was even back in those days?

OldFrank":2rlo40o5 said:
But there were even at least 2 kinds of Europa, and one.of them was.really quite. Plain
I had an old plain 5 speed version but changed it to 10speed shortly after as my school was onto of a hill so I had low gear of 40 x 24 that just about got me up there

Raleigh knew they were onto a good thing with the red and yellow team livery and weren't shy on using it on every bike / price level. Both home and export..

Don't blame them as they reputedly threw £1,000,000 at Peter Post to win so had to recoup their outlay. However, I think the Raleigh 16 and 20 outsold them all :)

PS not heard of 501 SL

Re:

501SL* exists but I have never heard of a TI Raleigh Competition unless the poster is referring to the fact that TI owned Reynolds; but that perhaps is a assumption too far on my part.

The TI Raleigh squad was a Dutch (how may here are old enough to actually remember this team - you and I are Midlife), yet the Raleigh-Weinmann team are rarely mentioned, if at all, on this forum - except by yours truly of course !

I have never owned a team bike (ok, I have a Liquigas Bianchi), and when I ordered my SBDU, having team livery was far from my mind; despite having an indirect relationship with the aforementioned Raleigh-Weinmann squad.

Rk.

*I don't think 501SL appeared before the second half of the 80s, maybe late 80s.

N.B if you want to collect Raleighs and find SBDUs (I think today they are overrated and this is largely due to the bearded hipster types new to cycling) beyond your budget, the W prefixed full tubeset Lightweight Unit bicycles and frames are well underrrated.

Re:

Sadly I am old enough to remember the TI-Raleigh team, and the Raleigh Weinmann team, I was working in a Raleigh 100 shop at the time, I remember them coming to Great Yarmouth on a Criterium tour, and getting a weird look from George Shaw the team manager when I asked him for his autograph..... Alas couldn't get near any of the others would have loved Malcolm Elliot's and Phil Bayton's autograph.

501sl earliest I see it mentioned is 87'

Back