Tap and Die set

twain

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
i fear i may know the answer to this, however,
when looking to buy a tap and die set, am i to expect more from the tool if i spend more on it? i.e. if its made from tungsten instead of steel?

i really think i should get a set, but there is a stark difference between price ranges, so i am hesitant to get cheap.........

anyone had experience of both cheap and expensive?

Look for High Speed Steel not what you mention above as they are cheap & nasty & don't last as you may tap one hole on metals then the sharpness of the tap is gone..........

How much are you going to use it?

I have a cheap set and it's fine occasional use, putting threads in soft brass and aluminium and tidying up threads in steel, but if I wanted something for regular use I'd probably spend a bit more and get something better quality.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
For a start the cheap set are die nuts, the more expensive are proper split dies.

It's hard to put this into perspective, but I'd expect a quality tap and die wrench (large) pair to be over £100, so wrenches, dies and taps for £50 are not going to be awesome.

You'd be better off buying decent tools in the specific sizes you need.

But what are you trying to fix? Most bikes are almost entirely, M4,M5, M6.

Everything about BB's and hub cones are non standard so a normal set won't cover you.

Pedal threads are also wonderfully imperial, with the obvious left hand thread thrown in to boot.

With all the customs a tap and die set to cover everything on a normal bike is going to be a couple of hundred quid.

i.e.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Park-Tool-TAP ... 4d12b1b15c

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
I've had experience of (relatively) cheap and in my opinion if you're only using these things occasionally then they're fine.

I've never had a problem with cheap-ish taps and dies, mostly using them to clean up rusty threads on car parts and occasionally cutting completely fresh threads.

I'm certain you should buy expensive tools if you're relying on them for making a living as with heavy use the quality (or lack of) really will become apparent; for occasional DIY use, it doesn't make sense to spend a fortune on tools you'll rarely use if you don't have excess amounts of cash just lying around.

I was looking recently for a reasonable quality tap and die set, with split dies, the Draper Expert range got good reviews elsewhere on the web and can be found for less than £30
However, I ended up buying a set from Machine mart, the CHT303 set and they have been excellent at cleaning and cutting new threads on qr spindles, etc. http://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/produ ... ap-die-set

i bought some taps and dies etc from tracy tools, looked at what i needed, phoned them up, dealt with a guy who was nothing short of brilliant, offered discount on an 1 1/4 thread cutter on the basis it had been sat there since forever, i have now since used all the tools several times and they have all been perfect.

he told me the best material for each individual tool based on how much it will get used versus price, i prefer stuff that lasts so i bought the better stuff.

also you can buy just the individual stuff you need as opposed to a kit with 90% you will never need.

http://www.tracytools.com/

Latest posts

Back