Tamiya RC Cars

Brilliant! So assuming my boys are bored and I wanted to get one of these for them (or myself ;) ), where would be the place to look? Any recommended websites? eBay sellers? And how much is a basic setup likely to cost nowadays, controller and all? Sold mine decades ago, probably to fund bicycle parts of some sort :LOL:

clubby":20k7f2sd said:
When I was a kid the local newsagents had a hobby shop in the back. Used to lust after the Tamiya RC cars but was never allowed one. There's been an ongoing thread on Singletrack about them, and with lockdown in effect it's had a resurgence and a load of middle aged men who should know better have been indulging their inner 12 years olds. If you can't beat them, join them.

Some assembly required by Steven Clubb, on Flickr

Chassis by Steven Clubb, on Flickr

Paint and body by Steven Clubb, on Flickr

Paint and body by Steven Clubb, on Flickr

Finished by Steven Clubb, on Flickr

Finished by Steven Clubb, on Flickr

Build was really enjoyable, the design that's gone into it is amazing. Proper oil filled shocks with adjustable preload and damping shims. Even got a miniature diff with proper sun and planet gears. Research into it was also good fun, very easy to get sucked down the You Tube rabbit hole. Spent a good few Sundays just browsing internet crap about them.

Reminds me a lot of the mtb world. Basic kits are pretty reasonable.........then you add on the electronics............. then do you really want the standard battery......... why not get a bigger one.......... and a faster charger............ bearings kits are better then than the standard bushing...........ooooooh, blue anodising........

Have drawn a line at the anodised parts, so far. :)

Still to get out for a proper shakedown test, feel a bit self conscious with it in the garden with all the neighbours home. Luckily it should fit in the luggage compartment of the wee mans trailer and there are lots of empty dirt car parks at the moment, plus an entire championship golf course :LOL:
Under no illusions I'll use it all that much, but kind of feel I've got my moneys worth already and it's scratched a very old itch.

Sounds just like my childhood - our model shop was in the back of a newsagent but then they got their own property and now called Modelsport UK - I spent most saturdays in there as a teen. Still like to drop in when I go to my mums.

Re:

Still so many of these old Tamiya's i'd like.

Superhotshot - One of the ultimate cars from my childhood a rich spoilt kid had and it was awesome, would sit nicely with my Bigwig
Fox - My little brothers first RC and decent performer for a Tamiya and the first full plastic Tamiya (I have a Wildone which was the last Metal and Plastic)
Midnight Pumpkin - My first 'New' RC car and the other half to my Lunchbox
Buggy Champ - My first RC car
Super Astute - The 2WD counterpart to my TopForce
Avante - Because it would look great with my Egress

Run out of shelf space though and still haven't run the Topforce since I built it 2 years ago.

foz":3gjfjmzg said:
Brilliant! So assuming my boys are bored and I wanted to get one of these for them (or myself ;) ), where would be the place to look? Any recommended websites? eBay sellers? And how much is a basic setup likely to cost nowadays, controller and all? Sold mine decades ago, probably to fund bicycle parts of some sort :LOL:

There's this thing called google...

...and if you're a real OG, you'll know that Otley Modelsport are still going strong :LOL:

https://www.modelsport.co.uk/tamiya-ter ... cts/446930

For me, like many, the Avante was and still is the ultimate Tamiya model even with all it's faults and insane price tag. A close second is the equally fragile Porsche 959 and Toyota Grp B.

Bought my fox in otley, probably in modelsport as there can't be many RC shops in the town....

Thanks for the Google suggestion, would never have thought to try there... :roll:

al-onestare":3fm0lv7l said:
foz":3fm0lv7l said:

There's this thing called google...

...and if you're a real OG, you'll know that Otley Modelsport are still going strong :LOL:

https://www.modelsport.co.uk/tamiya-ter ... cts/446930

For me, like many, the Avante was and still is the ultimate Tamiya model even with all it's faults and insane price tag. A close second is the equally fragile Porsche 959 and Toyota Grp B.

That was terrible! I remember changing drive shafts all the time - it was like lightning for the 5 minutes it ran before something else broke.

Funny, it was actually Modelsport I got mine from. Good value packages, but also able to upgrade Items.

Foz, price depends on what you want. Basic Grasshopper bundles start around £130. My Racing Fighter cost about £250 all in, including paint, bearings and bigger battery and fast charger.

FTX Colt seems a popular choice at £75 ready to run and is suitable for younger children, and more garden friendly.

For me a big part of the Tamiya appeal is the build process.

Have had time to Google... Am seriously thinking about a beginner kit for my eldest, who'll be 13 in July. A teenager... :shock: how time flies :facepalm: anyway, to try and turn back time somewhat and go back to when I was the same age, when we can get him to stop playing on the playstation, he does really like building stuff like this and I think he'd love one. Especially if I had one too and we could race each other :LOL:

So to those more in the know than me, where would be a good starting point? I've only be ever heard of tamiya, they seem to have plenty of spares and support available, but maybe there are other makes that are just as good, or some that should be avoided? 2wd or 4wd? Is it worth spending a bit more to get something a little better and upgradeable? Anything else to bear in mind?

Brushless motors & lipo batterys. Forget anything else. Extra batteries and fast chargers FTW

Tamiya are kits, almost every other brand are now pre-built, but you'll be repairing them so much, it won't be an issue!! Cheaper Tamiya kits can't take quite the beating some other can... and they will take a beating...

Monter trucks/stadium trucks tend to be more fun, buggies can get overpowered by terrain easily, but it depends on what you're running it on. 1/10 scale, rwd stadium truck/short course truck are great starters, dare I say, more fun that 4wd...?

If they're your first, keep it 1/10 scale.

Traxxas, Axial, HPI

Latest posts

Back