Sunn Obsys 40 set up. SORTED OUT!

Re:

They seem to follow pretty much the setup developed by Rockshox with their RS-1
Oil-Air forks, air in the stantion, oil in the rest, height of oil creates air spring cavity and damps and lubricates the system. Never touch any before so cannot help internally other than looking through the manual when I get time.

The 'valves' as far as I known from what has been said (and another thread on the forum) use the same ones as Rockshox used.
8mm diameter and similar length.

I might be able to send you some to use if you want, though it might be a fraction cheaper to make them yourself.

Re: Re:

Mike Muz 67":310a4frt said:
The r/h one is good. sealed nicely after pumping up. The l/h one leaks as soon as I take the valve out. So , guess i need to work out how to make another one :roll:

Thanks for your help T ;)

Mike

The process (to make new air valves) was posted on another thread on here somewhere: you take a piece of plexiglass or wood of requisite thickness, drill a requisite hole (8mm ?) through it, fill it with RTV compound, and then pop that out and poke a very fine needle through the center of it very carefully ... and 'presto' - new valve!

Re: Re:

k-rod":30wyjj62 said:
Mike Muz 67":30wyjj62 said:
The r/h one is good. sealed nicely after pumping up. The l/h one leaks as soon as I take the valve out. So , guess i need to work out how to make another one :roll:

Thanks for your help T ;)

Mike

The process (to make new air valves) was posted on another thread on here somewhere: you take a piece of plexiglass or wood of requisite thickness, drill a requisite hole (8mm ?) through it, fill it with RTV compound, and then pop that out and poke a very fine needle through the center of it very carefully ... and 'presto' - new valve!

Yes it is here somewhere, I'll look it back up again. Not sure what RTV is, but hopefully that will reveal all!
How thick - easy now! - to make them though. 8mm by ?The length of the top cap they go in presumably.

FluffyChicken":30wyjj62 said:
They seem to follow pretty much the setup developed by Rockshox with their RS-1
Oil-Air forks, air in the stantion, oil in the rest, height of oil creates air spring cavity and damps and lubricates the system. Never touch any before so cannot help internally other than looking through the manual when I get time.

The 'valves' as far as I known from what has been said (and another thread on the forum) use the same ones as Rockshox used.
8mm diameter and similar length.

I might be able to send you some to use if you want, though it might be a fraction cheaper to make them yourself.

Thanks for the offer, I'll try to make some first though. Now, I've got wood or metal for a template, but no plastic :? Does it matter which? I can't imagine so

Mike

Re:

I can't quite work out how the seals are fixed in the fork (out of focus)
Is teh seal in an ecasement that slides into the top cap or is it just the seal itself slid into the top cap?
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=251861

If just the seal, does it sit on an adjuster rod and have a 'lip' on the seal to stop it coming out (like later RS Mag forks?)

If in a container (like a MAG30), it's probably easier to take that out and remove the rubber and then just inject with say a Marine Silicon sealent. I've not tried the method of making them in a mould myself as I use another method (more expensive) for the seals.

Re:

Just the seal I think. Not taken the old one out yet. If it is, I could just fill the hole with that sealant I imagine and let it set

Re:

There's a star-shaped washer that holds them in place.

The one you see inside the red seal in the packaging in this picture

obsysj10.jpg

Rather than shoving RTV into the fork top, I'd personally use something else with an 8mm ID. 10mm OD steel tube, for example, with a bit of pam or vaseline on the inside. That way you can make a "rod" of 8mm material and cut off the appropriate length from a part that doesn't have any bubbles in it. Bubbles may well be a problem.

Or you could try and lay your hands on a short piece of 8mm o-ring cord.

Re:

O-ring cord is too stiff, it needs be be softer, been thee tried that and have length of 8mm o-ring cord.

Tubes, some have used plastic (soft) tubes before as they cut easily.

Re:

I'll try and keep hold of the retaining washers, without destroying them getting them out. Didn't get chance to get the silicon today :roll: so I just ordered some

Mike

Latest posts

Back