Suggestion for BOTM...

Smells a bit of 'by invitation only' if I'm reading it right.

The very early Retrobike was more than a bit cliquey before the great unwashed arrived (I include myself in that statement, I'm filth personified).

The whole point of RB and Wife of the Month was that it is open to all regardless of the monies thrown at builds. Nominating members can raise the game a bit but unless you're mates with timmy tim or have such a absurdly rare bike it will only be Fats each month nominated by a very small group.

I’d invite everybody.

Only if there’s a splatter month.

This is a bicycle appreciation site not the Freemasons.

Re:

legrandefromage":d07mky6q said:
Smells a bit of 'by invitation only' if I'm reading it right.

The very early Retrobike was more than a bit cliquey before the great unwashed arrived (I include myself in that statement, I'm filth personified).

The whole point of RB and Wife of the Month was that it is open to all regardless of the monies thrown at builds. Nominating members can raise the game a bit but unless you're mates with timmy tim or have such a absurdly rare bike it will only be Fats each month nominated by a very small group.

That could happen. But isn't it already a bit like that. Only those with rare or expensive bikes feel like their steeds are worthy of entering. Anything else is presented with an 'It's only a . . .' apology accompanying its entry. To be honest, I haven't looked at BOTM for months due to the ridiculous monotony of gleaming boutique or high end builds. I say 'ridiculous' because it does seem ridiculous for quality to become tedious.

But it's not without precedent. Think of seventies prog rock: fantastically skilled playing and advanced composition just started to seem elitist and dull after so long and punk's lowdown common touch gained popularity. Perhaps voting for other people's bikes would shake things up, especially if there are enough awkward buggers around to nominate low end, ratty, scummy looking bikes, or perhaps just the bikes that get ridden a lot rather than admired a lot.

That might be a contentious view but quality is only really of interest when it stands above the norm; when it becomes the norm it loses that interest, as I suspect has already happened in BOTM - hence, the attempt to reinvigorate it with the themed months.

So . . . er, proletarian bikes of the world unite! Or something like that.

BoyBurning":2by434nq said:
In line with yours I'd say.

I dont know what your issue is but if you'd like to settle it via PM or alternativly I'm up in Warwick in a couple of Wednesdays time.

Back