StumpJumper (or is it?)

CassidyAce

Senior Retro Guru
When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Re:

looks like a Stumpjumper to me. My '95 had the same dropout design and it doesn't have rack mounts on the seat stay like rockhoppers and hardrocks did.

top tube cable routing means its not 94-96 vintage as there was a little metal tube around the seat tube rather than a cable stop.

Decals aren't original so its likely been re-painted.

It's interesting that the seat collar seems to be separate, rather than a brazed-on one. I don't know of a steel Stumpjumper with a separate collar, so it's probable the original was removed, and the brake cable guide noodle could have gone at the same time, just before the respray. 1" threaded headset . I think this could be a modified '93.

Looking closely at the dropout ends of the stays, the tubes are mitred and filled, rather than domed and slotted. This is a feature I've only seen on S-Works frames. Might this be one?

Re:

Thanks guys. Originally, I was thinking that it might be a later 90s StumpJumper due to the lack of seat stay bridge designed for cantilevers. Having looked further, I suspect that it might be an earlier one with the bridge removed and possibly more. Whatever, I wouldn't describe it as 'very original' if that's the case - more like 'slightly butchered'.

Re: Re:

CassidyAce":3eqqtd8x said:
Originally, I was thinking that it might be a later 90s StumpJumper due to the lack of seat stay bridge designed for cantilevers. Having looked further, I suspect that it might be an earlier one with the bridge removed and possibly more. Whatever, I wouldn't describe it as 'very original' if that's the case - more like 'slightly butchered'.
By the time V-brakes arrived in '96, steel Stumpjumpers had gone oversized: fatter seat tubes and seatposts, and 1 1/8" steerers, plus suspension-corrected forks. Rear brake bridges were last seen in '92, after which there was a guide noodle at the seat junction.

Those stay ends have convinced me it's an S-Works though. No mudguard eyes to remove, and the seat collar and brake noodle could have been lost in the removal of a stuck seatpost in the late nineties, after which it suffered a respray and a rebuild with cheap contemporary parts. Nothing beyond the frame and fork looks original, but there could be one of these hiding beneath that toothpaste-white paint job:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=330089

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=357627

Latest posts

Back