Stripping handlebars back to bare metal.

Supratada

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
I gots me some black riser handlebars that's i'd like to polish up. I've used Mr Muscle drain cleaner before, to remove anodising and while that's fine for small parts one can fit in a jam jar, a handlebar is another matter. The drain cleaner will eat though tin foil, so my first idea of making a long thin "trench" in foil only won't work.

Will some aggressive polish and a polishing wheel get it off fairly quickly?
I don't mind putting the effort in but I've previously spent hours "at the wheel" on a refurb job.
Any ideas?

800 or 1000 grade wet or dry paper, used wet with a splash of detergent. Anything coarser will score the surface and create more work..

lensmansteve":2l6g2we7 said:
800 or 1000 grade wet or dry paper, used wet with a splash of detergent. Anything coarser will score the surface and create more work..

That was a concern. I’ve “gone too hard” on alu before and as you say, created more work down the line.

Jburke":1t5961od said:
5f5 is a good fast stripper available at most paint stores. Gets it done
Hmm, might not be readily available right now. I’ve got some nitromors that took off powder coating. Not sure the bars are anodised however. They are a mixture of gloss and matt black. A thick gel paint stripper might be just the job

Back