Stop it you annoying buggers!

@ Crud:

Point of post?

They are completely different examples.

Ask 'Average Joe in the Street' what 'Tarmac' or a 'Hoover' is and there is an extremely high probability they will know.

Ask 'Average Joe in the Street' what 3DV is and they would most likely be clueless.

'Purple' - they would most probably recognise and be familiar with...

Out of context I would say your post was Crud wouldn't you?

But thank you for taking the time to create a list of proprietary eponyms for me - always such a pain in the arse having to take the time to think of them all when one needs them...

:cool:

BoyBurning":2xshp2pc said:
@ Crud:

Point of post?

They are completely different examples.

Ask 'Average Joe in the Street' what 'Tarmac' or a 'Hoover' is and there is an extremely high probability they will know.

Ask 'Average Joe in the Street' what 3DV is and they would most likely be clueless.

'Purple' - they would most probably recognise and be familiar with...

Out of context I would say your post was Crud wouldn't you?

But thank you for taking the time to create a list of proprietary eponyms for me - always such a pain in the arse having to take the time to think of them all when one needs them...

:cool:

Ha. What :? they are great examples, probably the best? A brand name to describe similar products?

Really? you dont understand?

Ask average joe how much does he thinks a tweny year old MTB is worth!

in my line of work brand names are used all over the place in the same way, so does every walk of life, its is not unique to 'my' (lifted) list and 3dv. :LOL:

Most probably fly straight over average joes head.

Peace out.

Average Joe.

Average.

Joe.

Joe.

BoyBurning":1fvw5lo7 said:
Not sure how difficult it is to understand really.
I'm not suggesting it's a different colour necessarily, just shouldn't be referred to as 3DV.

So it's the same colour?

Your argument doesn't make any sense if it is. If the Ringle 3DV colour was noticeably different to the normal purple colour other manufacturers use then fair enough.

Rob Atkin":txrxqboo said:
I thoroughly enjoy misquoting people and taking their comments out of context, so please by all means do it to me too! That way we can all enjoy the fun and frolics of never ending pointless posts. Yay!

OK. Thankyou for the kind offer.

Consider yourself thoroughly misquoted and your words taken out of context.

BB

I used to get really annoyed when people called the Peak District the "Peaks". I got over it, but it is nice to know that you are correct and the rest of the world is out of kilter.

Radar":lxjbcmho said:
I used to get really annoyed when people called the Peak District the "Peaks". I got over it, but it is nice to know that you are correct and the rest of the world is out of kilter.

What was wrong with that anyway?? I've lived local to it all my life and always called it that.

Because it is derived from the antiquarian name for the area The Peak or the High Peak (loosely Kinder and environs but not specifically Kinder).

If it was Peaks there would be more than one peak.

And before anyone says White and Dark Peak(s), they only exist as OS map titles, they are not geographical entities. Nowhere in limestone bit of the Peak District is there a feature called The Peak.

If you want to call the area The Peaks, fine, factually inaccurate, but fine.

I think I would call it the 3DV tax. People seem to think that by adding 3DV to the description of a purple item it add's £££ to the price.

crud":2uxlbr20 said:
Aspirin
Cellophane
Dry ice
Petrol.
Thermos
Yo-Yo
Biro
Astroturf
Armco
Bubble wrap
Chapstick