Sram XO/X9 compatability.

dyna-ti

Gold Trader
MacRetro Rider
Feedback
View
AAAAAGGGGHHHHHHHH

Why ?
Why does nothing have to work with anything else.
Change your speed from 9x2 to 10x2 and it seems you are required to change your entire drivetrain, not just shifters,chain and cassette.

I cannot understand why the rear mech cannot handle an extra gear.

OK
Im using sram XO rear mech(1.1) 2010 or 2011 :?) long cage
X9 shifters
X9 front mech(i think im right in saying the fronts are compatible with everything :?)
Currently set up on a 2x9 gearing -Sram cassette and 46/38 chainrings which the x9 mech can only just handle.

Picked up a set of 2x10 XO shifters so want to go 10 speed.
I swop the shifters onto the bike, with the intention of picking up a chain and cassette later on.
Now im being told i have to change everything and the rear mech is just too deep into funds

SO
My intention is just to fit the shifters with a 10spd cassette and chain and see how things go.

Now i know Sram and maybe some lbs will insist you must change but has anyone actually tried it and found they work.

To me a rear mech is just a swing arm . Its no mind of its own and just directs the chain to where the shifters want it :?.

It's marketing BS it will work I've run all sorts of mixed bag stuff tiagra 10 speed with 600 8 speed, sram 10 with campagnolo 8 speed The main problem I've come across is the rear outer cable length to the Mech I tend to start long try the shift and then adjust it (cutting down) to get the throw right

Re:

Youve been told rear mech wont work, did you try it?

Cable pull for shimano 9 is less than 10 so you cannot swap shifters and mech.

Sram 9 has longer pull to shimano 9, so as above.

Question is does sram 10 have diffferent pull to sram 10, and useful to know if sram 10 and shimano 10 are comoatible.

Check out faq on bike radar, oretty sure its been discussed.

Re: Re:

02gf74":8yk4khhj said:
Youve been told rear mech wont work, did you try it?
Cable pull for shimano 9 is less than 10 so you cannot swap shifters and mech.
Sram 9 has longer pull to shimano 9, so as above.
Question is does sram 10 have diffferent pull to sram 10, and useful to know if sram 10 and shimano 10 are comoatible.
Check out faq on bike radar, oretty sure its been discussed.

Havent tried it because to do so would involve buying the parts and if it doesnt work then where does that leave me :LOL: and i wouldnt think shimano compatibility can be referenced to sram and viceversa, though i am under the impression that shimano and sram dont work together.
Further informed recently that modern 10/11 speed isnt even compatible with older 10/11 spd, even though theyre months apart :?

:oops: Were you meaning try the 10 spd shifters with the 9spd mech and a 10spd cassette ?
gradeAfailure":8yk4khhj said:
http://blog.artscyclery.com/science-behind-the-magic/science-behind-the-magic-drivetrain-compatibility/

Might help?

Thanks for that ill have a read. I think i should at least try o2gf74's suggestion and try too :LOL:

I thank for all but the proof of the pudding is eating so mid week ill get a 10spd chain, and look for a 10 speed block and give my 9 spd rear mech a try out.
Worst is worst i replace it all. Got some pace carbons coming soon so was just trying to cut the outlay down a bit if its not needed.

I was thinking on where they could go from here gearing wise and im thinking of a block with no spaces between the cogs and the chain moves up or across it :?
Yeah, i know, the mind works weird on me :LOL:

Hi, manufacturers are always going to tell you to buy comparable components.
Its simple realy and often gets over complicated by people
Like you have already said, the mech just moves freely between two fixed points. The indexing is in the shifter and the mech will go wherever the shifter puts it. As long as the free hub, and ultimately the cassette, are the same lengths then the mech will put the chain anywhere the shifter tells it. As someone has said, all speeds are interchangeable as the length of the cassette doesn't change. Obviously to fit more cogs into the same space they have to be thinner thus the only thing that may affect anything is the thickness of chain.

Mark

Unfortunately no.

The reach of the mech changes, the amount of cable changes, shifter pull the mech too much or not enough.

It makes my brain itch.

Back