SRAM v Shimano

EggyBum6969":1v4j77hq said:
plastic vs metal :O)

More cheese than plastic :D

I quite like sram shifters but then again they don't compare very well like for like ie X9 to XT.

Rear mechs just don't last :x

we usually have a line of guys at the top of the first hill on one of our national marathon series, all clutching broken SRAM rear mechs.

One of them has even been known to leave a spare bike up there, and i've seen several of them handed rear mechs........... never noticed any shimano mechs, even the years i've spectated (good place to watch, they go past virtually the same point 5 times in the space of the first hour, then another 3 or 4 times during the remainder of the event)

Brakes: Shimano have always outperformed SRAM/Avid
Transmissions - SRAM lost the plot with XX and then when they went ten speed. Which was the same time Shimano upped their game. So no contest whatsoever.....Was otherwise a big fan of SRAM till then...... The last generation 9-speed XO stuff is the bollocks. X1 is also a lot of group for the money. But design fails like 10T sprockets drag the whole concept down so for trail riding you're still better with a modded 40T system based on Shimano XT.

So Shimano the winners.... even though my early 90s self hates me for it.

Re:

ive got an old xt from the 90s still going strong
and more modern 8 an 9speed shimano stuff

also have year 2000ish plastic caged sram x7 an x9
from the same year they still work fine

but i had a 2007 version of x9 for about a 14 months
an it started to make a funny noise :shock: ,
i got a couple of feet further an i was slowing down to dismount
when the mech decided to have a party with my spokes,its a rite off :evil:

gota say i did on use the x9 shifters with a last gen 9speed x0 i was given an its freakish how light it is
but im scared to pair it with good wheels
incase it decide's to dive into my wheel like the x9 did :facepalm:

The SRAM versus Shimano rivalry offers distinct strengths catering to various cycling preferences. Whether prioritizing Shimano's reliability and broad range or SRAM's innovation and streamlined designs, the decision hinges on individual riding styles and requirements.

I'd like to hear any bot's or anybody's opinion on the Shimano vs Sram debate 10 years on from the original post? I'm still a Shimano man but has anyone swayed their preferences with recent groupsets?

I'll happily ride either, but given the choice between 10 spd Deore or 12spd NX/SX, I'll go for the Deore.

Back