SRAM flat bar shifters on drop bars, it seems to work

Mangizmo

Raleigh Fan
The reason for this is because the sti brake shifters didnt work well with V brakes so I wanted to use Tektro drop bar levers for V brakes which are great. The other option would have been bar end shifters but WHERE WOULD I PUT MY MIRROR ????? so removed the steel band from the clamp and they fit fine, I will give this set up a try, I reckon it will be fine 1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg 4.jpg 5.jpg

Last edited:
Difficult to operate gears and uncomfortable to operate cross-tops. This why you need super wide bars because you don't leave anywhere to put your hands, on regular width bars!

Why don't you just get bar end shifters? . They can be as cheap/expensive as you like and friction, index, or both.

Logical is so 1992. Illogical decision making is where it's at.
Well we all have our own ideas about what is logical dont we? I use a bar end mirror so bar end shifters although they work great are not ideal for me, now in my world illogical is things like riding in the winter without mudguards so you get a great long messy streak up your back, or paying a fortune for a gravel bike and with no carrier mounts then another fortune for some carbon fibre bodge carrier that fixes to the seatpost so you can carry luggage . Or 1X transmission that costs £150 for a cassette and £50 for a chain when an 8 speed cassette and chain is about £25 for the pair, or buying a bike with a stupid triangular shaped seatpost, or a propitiatory bottle cage, or cables that dissapear into the frame, or 1 piece bar and stem combos, as I say, we all have our own definitions of illogical dont we ?

These would free up space on your bars to allow fitting of horns and a basket.

These would free up space on your bars to allow fitting of horns and a basket.
Thanks, they look interesting, not seen them before

They seem expensive for what they are but in my view are worth it to be able to use road sti with v brakes.

Installation instructions - https://problemsolversbike.com/inde...-a-problem-solvers-travel-agent-brake-adapter

I'm using them on my sardar and was initially concerned about the tight cable bend as the cable exits the small pulley and wraps onto the large one but in practice all is fine.
I had one of those SARDAR bikes in a previous life, I think mine had Cantis but I might be wrong, I might have tried these if I had known they existed. I have fitted the setup in the photos to my Dawes Super Galaxy and it all works well, the shifters were cheap enough so I will see how I get on, I have given up on Cantis for sure, V brakes are far better, those Tektro drop levers for V brakes are really good btw

Seeing as you like 8 spd, surely you can pick up some second hand shimano claris STI shifters for not too much money, and then the shifters won't take up any handlebar real estate, or impact on your use of mirrors?

Back