Spotted fault after posting feedback. Am I ****ed?

i believe in fixies":23w6pktq said:
Wll you may be $#$%^& now unless the seller is a decent chap. If you've just sent the stuff back asking for a refund before he's agreed to give you one are you confident that he will?
Well okay, that's inexperience on my part. He is communicating with me, he says that he's unhappy that I've sent it back without mailing him first and he's accusing me of just changing my mind. This apparently gives him the right to deduct re-listing fees from my refund.

He seems to have forgotten that he's the one who sent a scratched disc to me without any mention of this in his eBay ad. He claims that he didn't check it before posting. He's also said that he intends to re-list the scratched disc (presumably so that some other idiot can take delivery of his mistreated items).

I'm just the stupid bastard who believed his description, paid as quickly as I could and gave him positive feedback as quickly as I could so that he could get the money from his PayPal account asap. But somehow, I'm now the bad guy. Unbelievable.

Russell":3ddcwgup said:
If I was the seller, I'd be running it through my computer to make sure that it works and (if it does) sending it straight back to you with a note saying that the scratches in no way effect the performance of the disc.
Funny, my seller couldn't understand why I hadn't just "tried the disc out" in my Mac to see whether it worked or not. Unfortunately, he doesn't understand that popping the disc in to get a window showing what folders are present doesn't tell you Jack Shit about whether the data in the middle of the disc is readable. You could only tell whether a full install was possible by actually performing it.

And for what it's worth, if I were the buyer to whom you'd returned the disc, I'd point you to the Distance Selling Regulations that permit me a 7 working day "cooling off" period (during which I can send the goods back without explanation) and then I'd send you the disk back! :cool:

Russell":3ddcwgup said:
But I'm a badass mofo.
Russell, nobody needs to be a badass mofo, if they'd just put their £90 operating system disc somewhere where it won't get scratched to buggery. People who forget to do this don't look like badass mofos; they just look like bumbling, clueless twats.

I thinks that sounds like the best resolution you're going to get, you could try a Paypal dispute to get all your money back, I'd wait for him to send a partial refund first so at least you have something.

As far as I'm aware (though I accept I may be wrong) the distance selling regulations do not apply to private sales. I don't know whether you bought the disc from a private seller or a business.

Hope it comes good for you.

Back