Ebay dispute...

Ebay will give your money back if they aren't as described.
If above is successful appeal against the import charges and you will get them back.
I don't think you will get the post office charges back.

Re:

I have bought/sold on Ebay pretty much since it was invented - currently my sales stand at over £40k and that is not running as a business.

Ebay generally find in favour of the buyer, moreso in the last 5 years. I have found that in cases that are more complicated then 'it didn't turn up' it is always good to pick up the phone and speak to someone in Ebay directly. Obviously raise the dispute through the website first but then follow it up with a phone call a couple of days later. State your case slowly and clearly and give them a chance to review all the information that you have submitted via the website. My disputes have always been resolved correctly (in my opinion obviously!)

If you paid by Paypal, the item description does not mention/show the damage and your timeline is correct (picked them up at 10am and case logged at 11.30 on the same day for instance) then you shouldn't have too many issues.

Ade

I haven't had many disputes over the years, but i have had to run through the process about 3 times in the past couple of years.
I bought a used trail gator in the summer and it was described as being complete with all parts and in good condition. The condition was indeed good but it was incomplete, with the ball for the forks and the rear dropout stowage bracket missing, making it both useless and dangerous to use. I questioned the seller and they held firm it was complete and that it was never supplied with those parts, even saying that they must have been added later, complete horse poo. Anyway I went via a paypal dispute that time and after sending it back at sellers costs I was refunded, paypal just dealt with the money side. I bought a new one in the end as it was on discount and only about £10 more.
The other times were when I had items delivered from high volume Chinese sellers, I raised eBay dispute as items either failed or were not sent. After a week or so of radio silence from the sellers eBay just refunds you, if the item is faulty, just I binned them as there is no value in sending back such low value things. The sellers in this case probably just ignore the correspondence as they know eBay will just refund the buyer and it's not worth their time to deal with it, just let the system work.
The problems are when sellers from the first example start to drag things out. Pics help as do manuals and spec sheets from the web, in my case I had issue 1.0 of the manual showing the missing parts and how to fit them. Seller had no retort.
The postage receipt for customs will obviously be good evidence as will pics and a dispute raised not the same day. I am sure you will get everything back but post office charges.
I have often wondered about LGF's example and a few times when I have sold mobile phones have pictures the serials and IMEI number stickers in case I get a dishonest buyer. This has happened to me in the past but always outside of claim limits and always with PC equipment, one such example was a laptop that went out working, after 3 months buyer upgraded harddisk and put on a new OS and complained it didn't work! Was told exactly where to go then...

Carl.

I am still waiting for that talking robot toy that kept being advertised on the telly before christmas.......

I recently cancelled my eBay account.Basically I bought a modern bike described as being in good condition but after a week of searching for a creaking sound I found a cracked chainstay under the chain set where it could not be seen.

eBay rejected my claim because I had picked it up myself and in their opinion should have examined for cracks etc before accepting delivery.My LBS had to take the chain set off themselves before they could see what I had found.

£300 down the drain and to add insult to injury it was subsequently found that the bike was on a C2W scheme on which the final payment to own had not been made.

eBay seems to have had a change recently and tilted the balance in favour of the seller.

Re:

Buying in person takes it out of their hands, it is sold as seen.
That is why.

Have it delivered,you then have protection, and make sure the C2W scheme know about the person.

Re:

I may be about to join the party. Just received a wing mirror for my car via eBay. Not the right one (pictures of one with in-built indicator, the one I received didn't have this), plus it's all damaged (not that I can use it anyway as it is the wrong type). Hopefully a mistake they will rectify but I suspect pain ahead.

Re:

Update on this:

Received confirmation from ebay that the seller will accept a return of the damaged levers, so I'm just waiting on the shipping label and will then get them posted back.

Refund should be made once they're received, which will be a while yet but at least it looks like things are moving in the right direction.

Thanks to all who contributed advice and experiences.

Once this is all done and dusted I will consider naming the seller on here so others can be made aware, but I don't necessarily want to bad mouth people so I'll see how I feel at the time.

Cheers, and happy new year guys!

Re:

For those interested, I'm attaching pics of the bent and cracked levers.

Think you'll agree this is not recent damage, and there is very little chance the seller wasn't aware of the damage when selling them, and before shipping them.

So I'm down 20 quid in import duties and RM charges, but hopefully will be getting the 70 quid purchase and shipping cost back.

At the end of the day, in nearly 18 years using ebay this is my first bad experience, so I'm more than happy to forget about it and move on. Still missing levers now for the intended build, but I'm sure I'll find some one day!

Attachments

• 05.jpg
    05.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 416
  • 04.jpg
    04.jpg
    147.1 KB · Views: 416
  • 03.jpg
    03.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 416
  • 02.jpg
    02.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 416
  • 01.jpg
    01.jpg
    115.5 KB · Views: 416
Re:

I'd be amazed if that's happened in the post.

Can't se how it could happen without the lever being attached to a bar given the force that would be required.

Does seem a flawed design though, having the hole for the pivot that close to the edge.

Latest posts

Back