Spiderless or bolt on single rings?

ishaw

Gold Trader
GT Fan
Feedback
View
Having a crank dilemma on my latest project. It will be 1x10 but not sure whether to use a 2x crank with a single ring or a spiderless crank. What are the merits of either option?

I've a few cranks in the stash to choose from, but understanding the benefits/drawbacks of each may help me decide.

If it helps, I have a new e13 trs crankset with a few spiderless rings to choose from, or a carbon k-force light which I bought as 2x but looks to be able to run triple.

Also have some 2x turbines and some fsa afterburners, one set is 4 arm 2x, the other 3 arm 2x.

Re:

The fundamental advantage of a 1x spiderless crank is for SS applications - it is (should be) perfectly centered so it doesn't create tight and slack points in the chain.

Otherwise, any crank with a decent chainline would work fine with a rear mech.

Re:

Spiderless design allows you to run a smaller ring, think the smallest is 32t for a four bolt (maybe 30t with offset?).
3x chainsets work better than 2x for single front ring as t he middle position is in line with the middle of the rear cassette unlike a 2x where neither are perfect.

after reading this thread. I've decided to go spiderless for my THM M3 cranks

Re:

I have these (well not these, as they are on my wife's bike, but another set). Whilst 2x, they seem to put the outer ring where the middle ring on a 3x would go.

Would they give a decent chain line?

Attachments

• PSX_20200416_000843.jpg
    PSX_20200416_000843.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 327
  • PSX_20200416_000823.jpg
    PSX_20200416_000823.jpg
    116 KB · Views: 327
I'm running similar on one of my bikes (3x crank converted to 2x).

No problem with chain line, at all.

Having now fitted my spider less chainring. For 1x its best. Now no chainring bolts to look after. Plus loose a bit of weight. ticks all my boxes. Wish i'd fitted it sooner. Saved £££ on not buying chainring bolts, spiders & chainrings That are no longer needed.

Back