110 BCD 4 bolt ring help

ishaw

Gold Trader
GT Fan
Feedback
View
So, a while ago I bought a nice set of FSA carbon cranks. I had planned to convert them from double to single ring. However, I didn't realise that they were a new to me at least, 110 BCD but 4 bolt, with unequal spacing (I believe the marketing term for this is asymmetric).

I'd still like to do this, as they are nice cranks, but I'm confused by this new, recycling of a fairly common BCD.

So far I've seen a few big brands offer this BCD, but I can't work out if they have all made them the same or not.

Anyone know if say SRAM, FSA and Shimano 110bcd 4 bolt is the same? I'm struggling to find any conclusive info, and also rings that could or will work.

This happens all the time. Happened to me last week when I went to install a set of shimano BB cups. I even bought the tool especially for the job (so I'd have everything ready, or so I thought). They've literally made them a different diameter (smaller). Now you need an adapter to make your existing tool work. Another delay.🤷‍♂️

I now get my non-shimano chainrings elsewhere. I'm not supporting that level of Tomfuckery any longer.😂
I got some nice Specialties TA, stronglight and blackspire chainrings now.👍

To answer your question, you can now get both symmetrical and asymmetrical 104mm BCD chainrings.
Along with a plethora of other "direct mount" chainring interface standards:
Screenshot 2023-02-19 at 14-30-53 Direct Mount Interface - Direct_Mount_Interface.pdf.png

This happens all the time. Happened to me last week when I went to install a set of shimano BB cups. I even bought the tool especially for the job (so I'd have everything ready, or so I thought). They've literally made them a different diameter (smaller). Now you need an adapter to make your existing tool work. Another delay.🤷‍♂️

I now get my non-shimano chainrings elsewhere. I'm not supporting that level of Tomfuckery any longer.😂
I got some nice Specialties TA, stronglight and blackspire chainrings now.👍
Yep it's a fecking mess, I remember back when I got my slx yonks ago I bought a park tool cup installation tool, didn't fit so they sold me an adapter, which didn't fit the parks, so I used a vise grip they can bugger off

And yeah I also got nicked buying a chainring which wasn't asymmetrical. This was a common 104 bcd just made wonky so it can't be used for anything but their scrap metal. Standardisation now or I'm sawing off the BB shell and getting an American BB shell welded back on and upgrading to a one piece crank

I've found the BB cup issue too.

New standards are annoying but ok when they aren't reimagining and existing standard. Why the hell have two 110bcd standards. Call it something else so it's obviously different.

Sell them and buy a SLX crankset.
That bolt pattern was road and I doubt you’ll find a suitable size for mtb use or if you do it won’t be narrow wide.

Unfortunate modern stuff just isn’t easy to piece together even compared to five or six years ago. Performance is amazing but it does rely on matching parts. I’m not saying mix and match can’t be done but it won’t be perfect.

Thanks, I had contacted them as I found they did them but oos as you say. I'll keep hunting.

So, more trawling the net threw up these. Anyone know if they will fit FSA 110 BCD as the more I read, the more confusing it becomes. Some Shimano 110bcd isn't the same as the rest, some SRAM oe isn't the same as the rest etc

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Can’t help on those rings but I think the issue relates to how the ring fits the spider. Only cranks of that bolt pattern I had were Ultegra. The big ring was shaped to fit nicely onto the arms and didn’t use a normal chainring bolt. The ring was threaded in the shaped part on took the male bolt from the inside. Think top end SRAM did the same. Normal style rings could be made to fit but needed a bit of filing and looked horrific.
If your FSA have a traditional spider you’ll have an easier time.

My original advice still stands though. Get rid and buy something more suitable. You’re coming across the very reasons someone sold them on in the first place. 😀

I’m normally a SRAM guy but you really can’t best Shimano for cranks.

Back