Spesh FSR Elite £45 bin

Plus this may explain why it has the beefier chain stays that are the same as the 98 GC versions, just reading online that the MAX/DH models had a different rear end, sweet!

Max backbone

Does anyone know if there is any difference in the handling of these bikes? It's just i recently bought an fsr elite max backbone in red and the rear frame is not perfectly symmetrical, right hand seat stay is lower than the left! I have noticed it's not the same for all max backbones and some of the ones i have seen on here are symmetrical.

I reckon thats probably just dependant on age/design change. Maybe newer with asymetrical stays?

Re: Max backbone

krist420":dvhhony3 said:
Does anyone know if there is any difference in the handling of these bikes? It's just i recently bought an fsr elite max backbone in red and the rear frame is not perfectly symmetrical, right hand seat stay is lower than the left! I have noticed it's not the same for all max backbones and some of the ones i have seen on here are symmetrical.

do you mean chain stay (the part that runs parallel to the chain)?
if so, then yes these did differ, not sure when the change was made, but, i had a 98 ground control FSR before my Elite.
98 had the 'twisted' chain stay (closest to the main pivot)
99 Elite has symmetrical/flat chain stay (closest the main pivot)

not sure why this was the case and i doubt it makes much difference to handling.
it may make a difference in the strength though, would imagine the diagonal would be stronger in the case of up and down movement/impact.. would need them side by side for a comparison to form a better opinion.

Chain stay

seatstay?lol. yeh i meant chainstay, i think i might upgrade the back end anyway(would really like disk mounts and not an adaptor). Do you know what rear end i could put on there that would still give me a standard look i already have but with the benefit of d/mount and descent frame bearings instead of bushings or is it worth going to betd for that sort of thing?

BETD do still do the bearing kits, but they are expensive.
i recently had some new nylon bushes made for me, bought some nylon rod and sent them to a lathe operator who made some for me.

bearings would be better, but you'll pay the extra for them!

as for disc compatible rear end - if you want to go for seatstays that have it integrated, you'll need the FSR Enduro rear end. think this is from 2000/2001 models. hard to come by just as much as the specialized sharkfin disc adapter!

i have a sharkfin disc adapter i'm in the process of fitting, but in the mean time i am running a magura hydraulic rim brake on the rear which is a great brake anyway - best of both worlds! :)

get some pics of your bike up and you'll soon have all the help you could possibly want! :)

bigmick":3sga3bp0 said:
risse sell a full rear end, but it cost $500

you would be better to try get the hope hub for your adapter

That's what i thought but i haven't been able to find one, and the fact i want to be riding by this time next week. Had a look at the risse rear end, nice bit of kit but not only is it too expensive it doesn't really give me the look i'm going for.

Back