Specialized sirrus carbon pro

Unlikelybiker

Dirt Disciple
Hi all. Following my previous threads about my tip find bikes I started to really enjoy biking and treated myself to a new rockhopper. It's intended use was off-roading of course but after a couple of on-road runs I decided to get a road bike, which led to me picking up this carbon sirrus 20230529_140611.jpg
Nice bike, operates perfectly if a little shabby in places. But there may be a problem. I didn't give any thought to the strength of carbon forks and a mate of mine asked if I'd checked the weight limit on the forks and looking at the condition may be likely to snap which is a shame. The laquer has lifted at the top of the forks and doesn't really fill me with confidence. Unfortunately the forks weight limit wasn't something that crossed my mind when I bought it 20230529_182013.jpg
The backend of the frame is also carbon but I guess should be OK, it's just the forks that bother me. What are your thoughts? Best course of action?
The rest of the bike operates as it should and it rides lovely. It's got 30 gears which surprised me, and are very precise all the way through. I'm tempted to do what it needs but I'd like to be able to do it with a modest budget.

Last edited:
You can search for weight limits for most modern (ish) bikes.

A brief look on google (Note: without knowing much about what model or size you have here) reveals:

• XXL- The extra-extra-long frames are suited for riders 6’4” to 6’6” and who weigh 193 to 198. Of the Sirrus models, only the men’s Elite Carbon and Sport are available in this size.

• XL – The x-large frames are best for riders who are between 6’0’’ to 6’4” and weigh 183 to 193 pounds.

I don't think that some paint or lacquer peel is a direct sign that the forks are weakened, but if you aren't confident with them then it will take enjoyment out of your riding, so maybe change them.

given that it looks like an aluminium bridge with a carbon blade, the peel you are showing appears to be from water penetration of the paint leading to corrosion of the alloy beneath it which has popped the paint of it. not sure where the carbon blade starts but it's normally just after the leg straightens out so the mold only has to be in 2 planes and easier to lay up. this would bear out in the bubbles seen around the bend which stop at the join to the carbon leg (bonded, posh word for glued). I have a set of Scott carbon forks that have gone the same way to a lesser extent.

Personally I'd strip the top coat, clean up the aluminium and reapply to protect from further corrosion, but that's my preference knowing how I ride, if you aren't happy, do as GIGFY or Joe suggest and by a new fork.

Back