Specialized S-Works Epic (2004) kids build

Splatter Paint

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
My eldest is just getting to the age where he fits a 26" wheel bike. He's been riding an upgraded Specialized Hotrock FSR 24, which is a really neat little 24" kids bike: https://www.bikepedia.com/QuickBike/Bik ... item=11851

However, being budget (£400 in 2005) it is quite heavy despite the tweaks he's done to it. So, I've been after the smallest version of the bike it is trying to emulate, the 2004 Specialized S-Works Epic, which was.... 10 x more expensive :shock: Anyway, a member on here had a frameset so my Dad picked it up and it has been sat storage for 18 months....

The conversation went like this:

SP: I'm racing at again at Mayhem this year.

mini SP: Mmmmm.

SP: You could race.

mini SP: Meh.

then, after a bit of a pause....

mini SP: Last time I went racing, I did quite well, third, wasn't it?

SP: Indeed. On your old Islabike without suspension. Your Spesh is a good bike, but a bit heavy for racing.

mini SP: Yeah, I really like it, but it is quite heavy.

SP: You know your bike is based on an adults race bike, that was really really good? Even though it'll be bigger, it'll be a lot lighter. Would you like one of those?

mini SP: Yeah!

So, there we go, the build begins. He needs to grow and it needs parts before Mayhem!

Attachments

• Brain.jpg
    Brain.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 1,528
  • Carbon.jpg
    Carbon.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 1,527
  • Logo.jpg
    Logo.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 1,527
  • Frameset.jpg
    Frameset.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 1,527
Re:

The build will be XT mostly, with the lightest (and most reasonably priced) parts we can find.

I've already got NOS S-Works carbon risers and an Thompson seat post and a sub-200g saddle :D

He's been raiding my parts stash with a set of scales, getting the lightest bits. He now knows XTR front derailleurs are 40g lighter than XT!

SP

Re:

aaaaand we're off:

Ridiculously-light Week Eight titanium bottom bracket. Beautifully made with replaceable bearings and o-rings fitted.

FSA Orbit MX headset. Comparable weight to Chris King, but without the bling (or cost).

FD-M970, 34.9mm dual-pull.

Race Face bash ring. This is because he wants one, as per his other bike. Anyway three chainrings is sooooo out of fashion.

Silver frame and forks, with lots and lots of black stealthy bits :cool: I'm not getting precious about condition, nothing dog-eared but nothing too fancy. This is for riding, not polishing.

Attachments

• Bash ring.jpg
    Bash ring.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 1,484
  • FD_M970.jpg
    FD_M970.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 1,483
  • FSA_Orbit_MX.jpg
    FSA_Orbit_MX.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 1,484
  • Ti_BB.jpg
    Ti_BB.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 1,484
Re:

Well, he stripped a pair of dead Fox Forks yesterday, now knows the difference between RL, RLT and RLC dampers :LOL: I think we’re gonna for:

Float uppers
TALAS lowers
F-Series RLT damper
100mm air piston assembly

Plan B is to put 100mm internals in the 80mm fork it came with.

I’ll get some pics up when we start, I only got one yesterday

SP

Re:

Depressurizing the fork and recovering the air piston assembly. You can see the stanchions were FUBAR

I really need to clean the garage floor too! :LOL:

Attachments

• Piston Free.jpg
    Piston Free.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 1,046
  • Depressurising.jpg
    Depressurising.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 1,046
Re:

This is why Fox forks need regular lower-leg services. :shock:

Attachments

• Stanchions.jpg
    Stanchions.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 1,045
  • Lowers.jpg
    Lowers.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 1,045
Re:

My collection for Fox fork parts. I've been buying up 'dead' ones for quite a while as all my suspension forks on my bikes are Fox. The recovered parts were cleaned last night and left in the airing cupboard to dry.

We'll have a go at a set for the Epic this week.

SP

Attachments

• Build kit.jpg
    Build kit.jpg
    112.4 KB · Views: 1,044
Re:

After cleaning all the small parts, we decided to try the F80s first :facepalm: :LOL:

Attachments

• small parts.jpg
    small parts.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 938
Re:

Plenty of stack height on a 180mm steerer.

Fox F80 RL
FSA Orbit MX
Thompson Stem cap
Race Face Stem

SP

Attachments

• Stack Height.jpg
    Stack Height.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 938
Back