Some advice on 'done' deals & deposits please

Re: Re:

MR OX":2dfpupv8 said:
A non-refundable deposit is exactly what it says it is. The fact the person is only asking for half of it shows they know that & are maybe hoping you'll be generous. I wouldn't be.

I agree and thanks for the input dude. I have been straight all through this and I genuinely feel messed around. It's just not the way a buyer should do business. I can understand they don't want to lose the £100 but at the end of the day it was an agreement verbally and in writing and they have pulled out of the deal so broken their agreement and lost the deposit.

Re:

Time wasters. If they seemed so keen on wanting the bike, they should have stumped up the full asking price, no messing about. You're not a credit agency. The thing with the deposit makes me doubt how committed or genuine they are – would they avoid paying the full amount at some point and disappear with the bike? If they knowingly agreed to the deposit, then they should honour it. Blow them out and sell it at the £3k valuation...

Re: Re:

groovyblueshed":2qpqw07a said:
Time wasters. If they seemed so keen on wanting the bike, they should have stumped up the full asking price, no messing about. You're not a credit agency. The thing with the deposit makes me doubt how committed or genuine they are – would they avoid paying the full amount at some point and disappear with the bike? If they knowingly agreed to the deposit, then they should honour it. Blow them out and sell it at the £3k valuation...

Thanks for the input mate, I questioned their commitment and with any sale I always take a deposit (normally 20% of the bike cost) but lowered it for this person to be accommodating. Sadly the fact they pulled out after they agreed does as you say demonstrate their severe lack of commitment.

I think you're right, and they're wrong, that's the simple black & white of it.

It's up to you if you're feeling benevolent and agree to a partial or full refund of the "Non-Refundable" deposit, you're under no obligation to, it's at your discretion.

jimo746":2dbpi4oa said:
I think you're right, and they're wrong, that's the simple black & white of it.

It's up to you if you're feeling benevolent and agree to a partial or full refund of the "Non-Refundable" deposit, you're under no obligation to, it's at your discretion.

Thanks for your input too mate. I'm completely unimpressed by my time being wasted, and generally being messed around so my decision remains undecided at present. How they have behaved is just not how I would have. I committed to 2 deals (I expected 1 to fall through) and they ended up both coming off but I honoured both deals to keep my word, and that was without any deposit put down. I kept my word.

I'm with everyone else, you've been clear and have signed proof. My only concent would be that if they are extremely miffed and the sort of person who doesn't like the outcome, they know where you live and what you have in the garage.

Re:

The UK law can vary a bit regarding non refundable deposits, depending on the nature of the transaction. If the goods sold are as described condition wise and both parties agree in writing ( as you have) that the deposit in non refundable, then you don't have to refund it.

Agree with the OP, I have also honoured agreements made to buy things from the US, that even significantly increased subsequently above the original negotiated price. :facepalm:

Re:

I think you have been extremely patient, I would not have let them come back again and again to view it. Your perfectly within your rights to keep the deposit. Guy sounds like a real numpty!

Personally i dont think it is even worthy of consideration. Obviously you are undecided as you are kind. You have already proved that by offering to honour your original price and to lower your deposit. The buyer, i use that term losely :LOL: , also knows this and is obviously hoping to salvage something from the deal. Which brings me to the fact a deal was made, wether in writing or word. And technically he has already receaved half the deposit back when you reduced the original deposit by 10%. So after me ranting for a bit i feel you are being more than fair :) Tell him you have sold the bike and used his deposit to celebrate :)

Mark

Re:

Keep the deposit you were more than accommodating.I learned my lesson with "done"deals and deposits recently when I had 2 sets of forks for sale,a guy on here asked me to hold them for 3 weeks promising payment.This I did and meticulously packaged both together and under his request brought them to the post office for a quote.4 weeks passed and nothing,I send him a pm and he replies back saying he doesnt want the forks.The result of this is I only accept dibs or hold an item if a non refundable deposit is paid.It filters out the timewasters.

Back