solid state drives

Re:

Hang on a sec ... LGF with an SSD ? That means you actually use a PC ?
I honestly thought that you sent postal pigeons to John

mattr":1liiotg6 said:
http://lifehacker.com/5802838/how-to-maximize-the-life-of-your-ssd
Some useful hints on there.
Some of them are odd, temp files and cache are for frequent access files and so you'd want them on the fastest drive. I.e. the ssd while the HDD gets to spin down.

They're basically saying stop using the nice fast drive to make it last a fraction longer.
Sounds like its been written by people from the 90s who had small drives and every generation of HDD was that much quicker but are now saying things backwards.

I'm sure win8 now handles ssd better by default, I remember seeing a lot of improvements. Its been quite some time since.

Re: Re:

Skeelsie":2esmf1hn said:
Sandisk, Crucial, Kingston all good and cheap very reliable on the whole.

Bigger the SSD capacity the more parallel channels to increase throughput but not noticeable on SATA2 so go 128/256 and stick pics and vids on a traditional drive.

If your putting Win 7 on there disable Windows Search service after re-install (type services.msc, find Windows Search, right click disable), most people don't but there is no point in indexing an SSD its quick as anyway and the disable will give you a speed boost.

except the index allows you to expand search to the content of files as well as name, which is dead useful....

Re: Re:

Raging_Bulls":2bamqz2v said:
Hang on a sec ... LGF with an SSD ? That means you actually use a PC ?
I honestly thought that you sent postal pigeons to John

I'll have you know, I was Apple accredited, and Toshiba, Acer, Asus, Dell etc etc...

in 2006!

Which is about the equivalent of a side pull brake 8 years on...

FluffyChicken":2tl2kr5m said:
mattr":2tl2kr5m said:
Yeah, some are odd, some aren't!

And windows 8? No thanks. 7 works just fine!
So does windows 8 (and 10 almost but the new start menu is dreadful)
but I already have 7, no point spending more money on 8

FluffyChicken":280pltes said:
mattr":280pltes said:
http://lifehacker.com/5802838/how-to-maximize-the-life-of-your-ssd
Some useful hints on there.
Some of them are odd, temp files and cache are for frequent access files and so you'd want them on the fastest drive. I.e. the ssd while the HDD gets to spin down.

They're basically saying stop using the nice fast drive to make it last a fraction longer.
Sounds like its been written by people from the 90s who had small drives and every generation of HDD was that much quicker but are now saying things backwards.

True that.

I made my own list of tweaks BITD, but merely to reduce the amount of writes. I still do those whenever I format my PC.
Moving stuff to the HDD was not an option because I always intended to run an all-SSD machine (which I do now).

Not too sure if there is any real benefit to most of these tweaks anymore. With the current life expectancy and the ever-increasing capacities, I don't think it makes a difference. You'll be upgrading long before it's worn.

Back