solid state drives

Raging_Bulls":az5l5vny said:
You'll be upgrading long before it's worn.
10 month old twins, i doubt i'll have the cash to do any upgrading before they start school (at 7 years old over here)

Re:

We are really peeved we never had twins, as they are rife in the family!

Drives are amazingly cheap now, so I would imagine most of us will be discarding old platters once SSDs become long lived enough.

Keep an eye on UK Hot Deals, SSD's come up on great offer every week nearly. I am going to get a 256GB one (or maybe 2) when I can find one on a deal.

Carl.

Spinning rust isn't going anywhere for a long time yet. Providing long term storage in volume is still its forte

highlandsflyer":duyke6dj said:
cce":duyke6dj said:
Spinning rust isn't going anywhere for a long time yet. Providing long term storage in volume is still its forte
Ah, they said that about tape drives..

LTO is still pushing fair volumes, and squeezing ever-more data onto a cartridge

Re:

Lol. I agree, just throwing my mind back to those dark days when we refused to give up on our floppies. If my wife is still happy with a floppy, what can be wrong with them?

Re: Re:

cce":1ohg9it9 said:
except the index allows you to expand search to the content of files as well as name, which is dead useful....

It does yes but it munches 10% of your performance all day and usually an SSD is so quick it'll search for what you want in a couple of heartbeats anyway.

Depends on your requirements, it's useful if your a heavy Outlook user with a huge OST but I'd rather have the speed and control over the OS running riot.

I have no proven test data but reducing pointless read/writes can't do anything other than prolong the life of the disk.

Indexing can be very useful on a spinning disk but it makes most machines behave like something your parents purchased from PC World and "takes a little time to open sometimes, it'll settle down in a bit" that 30 minute boot misery and seven different versions of Antivirus software all running at once riddled with malware from when your father was looking on the t'internet.

Back