SOLD 1998 Cannondale Saeco CAAD2 - Near New Condition - 56cm

tom_w

Dirt Disciple
p4pb10768363.jpg

For very reluctant sale is this beautiful example of a Cannondale CAAD2 road bike in Saeco livery. It is shown in the picture sporting a modern quill adaptor and compact bars, but will be supplied with the original quill stem and Cinelli bars instead (pictured at the end).

p4pb10768365.jpg

The bike is size 56cmm and equipped absolutely as it was originally, apart from the saddle which I replaced with a Ti Flite from another bike (the original red ti flite went on my mountain bike..!). It’s sporting a full 105 groupset. The wheels are Coda 700 hubs laced to Mavic CXP21 hubs. It’s still sporting its original tyres, a pair of Vittoria Pro-Team Action HSD 23.

Original tyres and groupset you might rightly ask with a raised eyebrow, and you’d be right; I did indeed buy this bike and then not ride it. I purchased this bike from Mud-dock in, I believe,1998. It was a classic impulse purchase, I saw it and just couldn’t resist it. It’s the colour, it is just such an amazing shade of red!

Unfortunately I’m a mountain biker, so I rode it about three times and then it went in my parent’s garage where it sat quietly until last summer when I finally decided, 15 years later, to try road biking again (which is when it acquired its modern bars and stem). This time the bug bit and three rides later I’d purchased a carbon road bike, and that was that for the Cannondale again, it’s been sat in the corner of my lounge ever since.

Condition wise, the frame is pristine as befits a bike that’s done about 300 miles. The only blemishes are that it has some horizontal and lengthways scratches on the top tube (I’m at a loss to know why that would be, I think maybe it had a cloth on it and that scratched it). The scratches aren’t deep and I’m sure could be easily repaired. It also has a very small black scuffs on the driveside chainstay (shallow on an area about 20mm x 5mm)

The other blemishes are that I stupidly wore mountain biking shoes on it and have some rub marks on the crank and that the hubs aren't as shiny as once they were, possibly a bit of discolouration of the clearcoat? – I’ve tried to capture all of these things in the photos.

As mentioned the frame is that wonderful deeply reflective shade of red. Hand made in the USA with beautiful smooth welds and proper steel forks. I’d very much like it to find a home with a fellow Cannondale fan.

I'm not looking to split it as I have fortunately acquired a lovely partner, but unfortunately now become a victim of the S-1 variant of the N+1 rule!

Priced at £350 with the hope that it finds an enthusiastic new owner! I'm based in central Oxford.

(PS: Pedals not included, I just put them on so I could prop her up for the photos!)

p5pb10768342.jpg

p4pb10768344.jpg

p4pb10768592.jpg

p4pb10768346.jpg

p4pb10768353.jpg

p4pb10768356.jpg

p4pb10768360.jpg

p4pb10768351.jpg

p4pb10768370.jpg

Re: 1998 Cannondale Saeco CAAD2 - Near New Condition - 56cm

How lovely GLWTS

Many thanks. I will be very sorry to see her go.

Re: Re:

sacredhart":2wyq2nmm said:
What's the top tube c-c cheers?

Hi, it's 56cm c-c measuring along the centreline of the top tube as best I can measure. I don't think the geometry for CAAD frames has changed very much in the last 15 years!

Re:

Hi, I'd be interested in meeting up with you for a quick test ride. Am looking at getting back into road riding, this looks ideal. Unsure on the size though. how tall are you?

That sounds great. I'm 6'0", I think a 56cm Cannondale is normally suitable for about 5'9" to 6'1", but obviously it's better just to ride it to be sure.

Sounds like it will be a good fit. I'll PM you to arrange a time/date. Thanks

Back