Sold SOLD 1989 Diamond Back Axis Team Vintage MTB, Full XT, Tange Prestige, Made in Japan! Incredible original condition.

To those worried about it being stateside - you can tweak the shipping method somewhat and get it without any nasty tax and duty surprises

@ibbz
I think we'd all like to know about it.
Can I get in on this?
It depends on dimensions and weight plus reliability of the courier/postal service.
Entails an element of risk to the buyer too - but in my experience a decent courier / postal service with full tracking more than makes up for this.
So my point being - bicycles and bike parts from the USA can easily be sent without nasty pocket hitting surprises!

I write the following in a PM:

Items are often charged 20% tax and an approx $30 admin charge. To avoid this the item must be declared a certain way and value must be lower under the threshold.
The .gov.uk site will explain this.

Import VAT and Customs Duty on gifts

Find out about Import VAT and Customs Duty when you send gifts into the UK.
www.gov.uk
www.gov.uk
(Must be under £39
I’ve bought many frames from mainland Europe and the USA

I always ask the seller to send secured tracked mail and declare as Gift and as Bicycle Parts for repair with the total value (inc Shipping) to be under £39 (approx $45)

As Long as it’s tracked with a decent courier then there’s hardly ever an issue. Of course the buyer takes a risk but the only time I’ve had a bike go missing was when sending Internally within the uk from London to Bristol!

I also find that splitting - sending the frame
And fork set separate to the wheels saves weight and shipping totals - also easier to sell this way

@RetroRider_IT for example can give you some more advice as to how he managed to get each of 3 frame sets to me in 3 days without me being charged a penny - that’s over the course of 2.5 years buying from him.
I’ve also sent to Europe and to the USA and Australia without issues using this method.

Hope this helps!

Thing is - it depends on the reliability of the courier / postal service and the weight / dimensions of the item.

I’ve never had any problems - a reliable company fully tracked isn’t going to go missing 99% of the time - in my case 100% of the time and my items include classic cameras, lenses, luxury wristwatches (from Europe Australia USA and Japan)

It may work differently in different countries but some include the total cost of postage to be a part of the overall Value.

Here’s the last package I received from Marco - a Bianchi Nth with forks and crankset - he sent me these being he shipped - and there’s not much difference if sending from USA or from Italy to the UK.
Arrived in 3 days and no nasty surprises

Last edited:
An update, of sorts...

Found a very nice gentleman in Crawley, West Sussex, near Gatwick Airport who fancies this bike. He had one years ago, just the kind of person I'd love to see get it. Have been looking into shipping options and OH MY GOODNESS WOW IT'S CRAZY EXPENSIVE regardless of carrier, using two boxes, etc.

USPS Priority Mail International is the cheapest I have seen by a wide margin BUT their size limits (length plus girth combined 108") are proving difficult, and of course I'd need TWO boxes for that to even work.

DHL, FedEx, UPS are all insane. Like, close to what I'm asking for the bike insane.

I'm even looking at air freight options, sending airport to airport, but that's proving a challenge too, though I haven't completed my research.

Fun, fun, fun!

I really don't want to part this thing out but I may have no choice... :(

Thanks everyone!

EDIT: now exploring SendMyBag.com and it's looking possible - more later! :)

Back