So we are all retrogrouches?

Re:

Luckily I don’t suffer from lack of colour as I still ride Orange and they always offer a decent selection. :D

Hmmmmm again, the forks might be heavier but will probably perform better. Weight just isn’t an issue these days, at least not like it was but that’s maybe due to the terrain you can ride with more capable bikes? Who knows, all I do know though is that a 30lb retro bike was hard work but my 30lb+ 29er full suss isn’t.

I guess it all depends where and how you ride. I enjoy riding my 29er full suss, I enjoyed riding my old 650b ht, I have once again started enjoying my retro 26” whilst out with my pal on his gravel bike and I enjoy riding my road bike. Grumbling about new bikes is about as about as productive and relevant as those on STW slagging off anything retro.

longun":2rhq53um said:
jon woodhouse.......never heard of her ;)

Her life was only complete when Octalink came along. Her life was complete again when Octalink V2 came along.

The way I read it was that he was mostly having a pop at people who complain about every new invention rather than retro riders in general. I have both a relatively new and my retro bike and I enjoy riding them both. Some things on the retro are better, yes. Others, not so much.

Maybe someone trolled him one too many times.

Just as long everyone remembers that the gaps between shifts make things feel slicker.

Shifting a 7spd thumbie seems to take an age if you then compare to a 9/10/11+ system. The cable has to travel further along with mech and the chain. It changes how a bike rides because you have to think about shifting.

Upping the ratios squashes everything together so everything is fasterererer because there is less travel. 7/8spd gear changes give you time to read a newspaper whereas 9spd barely gives you chance to look at the headlines, 10spd is done before you even get chance to think about whether you needed a poo before you came out.

It would be amusing to fit a 7 speed cassette and a Deore thumbie on a very new bike just to see how it changes the 'ride'. As all my stuff is hilariously ancient I cant do that (it was the new 'new' once and on trend ready to 'send it'!)

Send it!

(the battle cry before setting off to the shops for Freewheel Fanciers Weekly)

Re:

Teggers":18y1y6bl said:
The way I read it was that he was mostly having a pop at people who complain about every new invention rather than retro riders in general. . . .
This. The article is whinging about whingers.

But also, the article doesn't consider different types of riding. The modern mountain bike is more capable (and comfortable) on rougher ground than the mountain bikes of twenty or more years ago and, on that score, an improvement. But that's the only riding the writer appeared to be considering. The rise of gravel bikes and their similarity to '90s mountain bikes indicates that modern mountain bikes are not an improvement for other types of riding.

Re: Re:

CassidyAce":144n02ig said:
Teggers":144n02ig said:
The way I read it was that he was mostly having a pop at people who complain about every new invention rather than retro riders in general. . . .
This. The article is whinging about whingers.

But also, the article doesn't consider different types of riding. The modern mountain bike is more capable (and comfortable) on rougher ground than the mountain bikes of thirty or more years ago and, on that score, an improvement. But that's the only riding the writer appeared to be considering. The rise of gravel bikes and their similarity to '90s mountain bikes indicates that modern mountain bikes are not an improvement for other types of riding.

fixed that for you, otherwise this year 2000 Marin was a terribly uncomfortable bicycle! :LOL: *yes, I know, 'year 2000' is in the far far future

Attachments

• 2000 marin.jpg
    2000 marin.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 676
Re:

I'm a fairly convinced Retro Grouch, but I'll compromise where I have to. I prefer old stuff for the most part. That's not to say I'm a complete luddite- obviously I'm typing this on a smartphone and I also have a recent Laptop. But I haven't had a TV for about 20 years. But I love 30s/ 40s/ 50s clothes and music and feel the need for bikes that tie in with that.

Right now though my only regular ride though is a trek 2.1 which isn't actually a bad bike. But I have a De ver Track bike, which I'm in the process of converting for fair weather road riding. I'm also looking to get a fast Touring frame/ audux frame with cantilever mounts and swap as much of the modern componentry as I can onto that.

I started cycling properly in the early/mid 90s, being the son of a clubman. For most of the early years I was all about Mountain Biking, including getting into Downhill. However about 97 my Dad picked up a Simoncini cross/ touring frame for me and assembled it Any Spare Parts style. I remember being disappointed that I was still to short to fit the one with the sky blue Columbus sl tubing. However in retrospect it was a great bike. I remember the shop owner pointing out the angles weren't that much more shallow and it was basically a very capable all rounder. It had Columbus tretubi, I'm not sure of the make up of that. It was also quite a decent ride, it climbed and descended very well, but was also quite comfortable. It handled cyclocross better than my mountain bike.

Eventually I outgrew it (it was a 48 and I'm now a 52/53). I then inherited my Dad's Roy Thame winter bike, when I moved back to London. Again an ASP special. It was fine in the saddle, but became a pogo stick when heading uphill. This was used to Courier on, before going fixed on a Dolan that went like lightening but wasnt at all comfortable. I was lucky enough to find a 60s Carlton track frame. This was everything I needed at the time, fast but could soak up the roads. Unfortunately it eventually cracked on the headtube lug and was replaced by a Soma, which was quite capable, but didn't have the soul. The Carlton was supposed to be repaired, but I eventually sold it to a collector when moving out of London.

Since then apart from borrowing my missus steel Condor track frame, I've been sorely missing out. Doing a lot more riding during the last few months I've really felt the need for steel and have seriously been looking into it.

New bikes don't interest me. I prefer the look of retro MTB's and I don't think I'd have much fun on newer bikes seeing as they plow through just about any terrain these days. It would make for some very boring rides in my local area. I also don't like a lot of the newer trends, such as wide handlebars, suspensions with loads of travel and huge wheels. I want to feel like I've been thrown around by a gorilla after every ride.

New bikes do interest me... but.....

The ones that look half descent are soooooooo expensive!

Back