So we are all retrogrouches?

I hate colour clashing cable outers......

legrandefromage":2b4isz5z said:
In 1998 I could buy a GT Tempest with STX-RC, RS Indy forks and all this for £499. An Orange Clockwork with RST forks came in at £579

Even with inflation, I would get a 'better' bike in 1998 for £400 than I would for the equivalent £708 in todays money.

At least it would have more gears!

Hmmmm, I don't disagree with the original point but I'm not sure you could call the Tempest or Clockwork 'better' than the Felt. Even low end forks from a recognised brand will perform well compared to the RST's or Indy's, the gears are probably no better or worse (personally think very little has changed in shifting performance) and the brakes will also give similar (at worst) performance. Overall they're probably a decent comparison for how you get similar performance for similar money at that price point.

The grouches are often about new innovations for good reason as the first generation or three often aren't very good (cf early dropper posts), but may have a kernel of a good idea. The manufacturers then iron out the bugs and many more people adopt them. It look me a long time to become a fan of disc brakes and even front suspension.

Also people's experience of the same gear can be very different. Before cartridge bearing BB came along, I was going through one every 3-6 months. Now they last years. Ditto pedals for similar reasons. Lots of other parts I've never had a problem with. Headsets, for example. But I know others go through them like water through a sieve. For me, headset innovation makes no odds, but for others it does.

brocklanders023":3ck3mwtr said:
legrandefromage":3ck3mwtr said:
In 1998 I could buy a GT Tempest with STX-RC, RS Indy forks and all this for £499. An Orange Clockwork with RST forks came in at £579

Even with inflation, I would get a 'better' bike in 1998 for £400 than I would for the equivalent £708 in todays money.

At least it would have more gears!

Hmmmm, I don't disagree with the original point but I'm not sure you could call the Tempest or Clockwork 'better' than the Felt. Even low end forks from a recognised brand will perform well compared to the RST's or Indy's, the gears are probably no better or worse (personally think very little has changed in shifting performance) and the brakes will also give similar (at worst) performance. Overall they're probably a decent comparison for how you get similar performance for similar money at that price point.

I dunno - those Suntour forks are worse than awful and weigh a tonne, possibly two. My wife has them on a Specialized :facepalm: It's the only bike i've ever picked up that has a heavier front end than rear. The centre-of-gravity is just behind the headtube.

Don't get me started on why they are supplied with firm springs on a XS ladies model ?!?!?

That can also go the opposite way - I had Hope Sport discs in 1995 and they lasted for years, I didnt need to go back to Hope for anything - thats a loss to Hope because there was no further interaction with them.

Cartridge BBs are hit and miss for everyone, I've had a Shimano from new in 93 until around 2011 whereas an FSA Power Pro lasted one wet muddy RB ride.

I'm still using the 2nd generation XT SPD I bought new in 1995

The Marin Mt. Vision rear end nearly always seemed to outshine whatever fork was fitted unless it was a Marzocchi

Back