so i started a bike shop. update 24/04/24

Re:

so i thought i'd add a little update to how the shop is going :)

when i started i didn't know what to expect, frankly i guessed at mainly basic bikes but i think the fact that i've worked in shops in the area previously in the last few years has helped me, mainly because alot of good riders know who i am and my history and where i've worked in the past, this has really helped as i've been seeing customers/bikes that i didn't expect to come to me as i thought they were regulars at other shops.

the shop is definitely looking better, mainly because the stock has increased, i also had the shop front redone as frankly i didn't like the original shop sign, i left it to the sign company and frankly the didn't in any way make an effort to make it look good so i got a friend to do it.

the last month has been mental but today has been quiet which to be honest i'm relieved about as it's nice to be caught up for a change!!

anyway here are some pictures of stuff i've done recently :D

complete bearing service on this older Epic as well as new brakes
IMG_6336 by Dr. Branom, on Flickr

hub rebuilds on this Cervelo P3, owned by a former masters commonwealth games athlete
IMG_6610 by Dr. Branom, on Flickr

complete XT groupset upgrade on this old Sub 3
IMG_6616 by Dr. Branom, on Flickr

service on a beautiful De Rosa with Super Record

IMG_6623 by Dr. Branom, on Flickr

IMG_6625 by Dr. Branom, on Flickr

built another Demon Frameworks road bike, Manhatten lugs throughout in Columbus stainless tubes

IMG_6696 by Dr. Branom, on Flickr

build kit is Super Record with king hubs/headset, thomson finishing kit etc, no expense spared
IMG_6695 by Dr. Branom, on Flickr

IMG_6697 by Dr. Branom, on Flickr

IMG_6698 by Dr. Branom, on Flickr

IMG_6699 by Dr. Branom, on Flickr

IMG_6700 by Dr. Branom, on Flickr

IMG_6702 by Dr. Branom, on Flickr

IMG_6716 by Dr. Branom, on Flickr

the new shop front sign and window graphics
IMG_6715 by Dr. Branom, on Flickr

our very on GTSteve's On one 45650b

IMG_6738 by Dr. Branom, on Flickr

Cannondale Slice for a local TT rider

IMG_6739 by Dr. Branom, on Flickr

this is how the shop is currently looking.
IMG_6740 by Dr. Branom, on Flickr

Re: so i started a bike shop. update 13/08/16

Very nice mate, some lovely looking bikes to work on and a tidy shop :)

Coming down your way first week in September so hope to pop in.

That's great news to see your doing really well Jon especially seeing that your good reputation has attracted customers from other shops which in it self is a good indication of you being well trusted and that's one thing that money can't buy ;) and it looks to me that you've got the makings of a good career in bike repairs judging by the work your doing .

Your shop looks very nicely set up mate with no excess clutter and a very nicely done signage :) ..

By the way i'm just loving the Demon with that excellent lug work and amazing paint finish and finishing kit :cool: ..

Muddy paw":1zt4z47u said:
By the way i'm just loving the Demon with that excellent lug work and amazing paint finish and finishing kit :cool: ..

Ditto :shock:

Re:

Congratulations Jon, the shop looks very professional. I'm happy to hear you seem to be succeeding in a very tough business. Also, the quality of the bikes you are working on is very high-much more fun to work on... :cool:

Re:

That's a good point Pat. Jonny, how did you position your services locally? Did you specifically look for the higher end stuff and customer or was it by chance? I'm curious and dead impressed!

Re:

thanks for the comments guys,

@Al,

i didn't specifically market to any particular group of customers as such. but having worked in various shops in the area for the past 20 years with the exception of 6 years on a chemical plant i knew a lot of local good riders, although they were not my target customer as i knew most were mail order orientated, also with higher end customers they tend to know more so buy on CRC etc more then most, so my main target is the average customer who can't/won't pick up a spanner for whatever reason, these customers i believe are the most important, basically the under £500 bike rider, these customers are willing to pay for advice and repairs as it's not something they can do themselves.

advertising wise i have only been going on my own Facebook page, 2 local area community groups on Facebook, and an advert in a local free community magazine.

the higher end stuff has come in as a result of people knowing me or testing me before they bring their bike in! the pictures from the De Rosa bike for example, he was recommended to come to me but before he dropped the bike in he rode out to me from 20 miles away to interview me about working on his bike! when i said i had 4 road bikes all with campag record he was put at ease, he'd tried several other shops and just wasn't happy as everyone seemed to crap themselves at the sight of campag!

i have also been posting pictures of some of the more intricate work on the Facebook page, shock servicing etc as most people assume that doesn't get done in house. sometimes it's my own stuff i'm servicing which i do just to get pictures of intricate stuff.

also i am doing shops rides on a tuesday evening, most has been about 8 people so far.

the biggest thing though is word of mouth, and Facebook being an extension of that.

being honest aswel, that draws people in, i look over every bike with the customer when they bring it in, mainly to try and avoid the dreaded phone call of "sorry mate it's gonna cost £X more" which means i can point stuff out so they can see the issue so i don't have to convince them on the phone that their bike is more dead than they realise!

overall it's going well, it's been hard in one way though, constant 6 day weeks get tiring, i'd usually get a good ride in on sunday but i find myself chilling out instead! i might drop down to 5 days a week when the clocks change but i'll make that decision when the time comes.

i am taking my first holiday at the end of the month though, the august bank holiday gives me 2 days off so i thought i'd take an extra day so i can get 3 days riding in Wales.

Re:

Hey Jon

Glad things are going well, so if one were to want to pop in for a cup of tea and spares in the next few weeks as we'll be in your area, where exactly do we find you?

Just pm me a post code.

You ought to have a linky thing in your signature so non-face-tube types like me stand a fighting chance!

Latest posts

Back