so i started a bike shop. update 24/04/24

ok so time for another little update, obvs ever since i moved in to the new place i was trying to decide how to lay things out, i decided i wanted as many of the bikes upstairs as possible, bikes for sale, repaired bikes and any of my stuff. so i wanted to get the upstairs looking good, so i got a carpet fitted a couple weeks ago, i've rearranged the bike stands and started moving things, it's by no means finished but it's getting there.

here's some pics:-

this pic, the shelves at the back will be getting covered up, the yellow ridgeback sold today, the last of them, the specialized road bike is a used bargain for £200, the Orange Speedwork has no saddle because for some odd reason the Speedwork in a different size i ordered for a customer that he collected today didn't have a saddle or pedals in the box! obvs the orange mtb's are stock for sale, the retro stuff is some of my projects. the mess of wheels on the left will being hung from the roof rafters when i find some S hooks i like.
s19.jpg

s18.jpg

the Rocky Mountain bikes, haven't had much interests yet though
s17.jpg

Last edited:
more, so with moving all that stuff upstairs some of the other stuff had to come downstairs.

tyres now by the front door and when the main door is open in the summer they will sort of act as a barrier to using the big shutter as an entry point, i'll be putting grid wall in to stop people trying to pinch them from, sorry the pic is blurry, i didn't noticed until i was uploading it here.
s15.jpg

the helmets are now organised on shelving, i have way too many, this is the tip of a very big iceberg!
s9.jpg

still got loads of pedal options!
s1.jpg

s2.jpg

loads of burgtec!
s30.jpg

s29.jpg

more stuff!

still got loads of lights, including some exposure stuff that i haven't put out on display yet
s8.jpg

loads of locks!
s16.jpg

loads of gloves, frankly too many!

s21.jpg

i'm reducing the amount of oil brands, i had too many, i'm gonna stick with finish line, fenwicks, muc-off dry, and squirt for the waxers, then the usual spray TF2
s25.jpg

still sell loads of Topeak stuff, and the return rate for me has basically been zero so a very good brand as far as i am concerned s13.jpg

started work on this, kind of feel rude about what i'm doing with it, the guy bought it and wants a modern 105 group fitting, the rear end has been aligned to 130mm from 126 and the BB threads have been modified to accept a modern BB, so that the frame didn't have to get any other mods i have built the modern 105 hubs in to the original 27 x 1 1/4 rims so that we could continue with the original brake calipers. just need to sort the gear cable routing on the downtube and under the BB shell for the front mech then i can finish it.
s28.jpg

s27.jpg

s26.jpg

If you can drop the blocks around 4mm ((630-622)/2) then you can fit 700s into the original caliper.
There's no real difference in the effect of rim size, but rim choice is better, and tyres, 700's another world to 27x11/8-1/4😃

Surprising how common that is!

Always makes me laugh when the fork clearance is massively different to the rear stays🤣

Used to be impossible to redo 27s once the ma2s were finished. It's rare the originals are up to the job. These ones here look good though.

The other problem we find is making the new "hood friendly" riding position - getting a shorter stem (not impossible but getting harder and uglier even now) and a wider/ shallower drop bar with less forward throw, in silver 26mm🤯
Soma, iirc, but not cheap.

Add to that that shimano no longer offer qr hubs and modernising 80s frames becomes challenging and expensive.iI find it super- easy to underestimate the cost by 100s🙄

Nice job! Classic paint scheme, iconic raleigh now a proper usable bike👍

got a bit more done in the showroom, the wheels are sorted but not yet hung from the rafters, that's the next thing, got some more bikes coming as well, a couple of Genesis gravel bikes, the entry level ones, with higher end bikes due in july. the flags cover the messy stuff on the shelves, the rack to the left is for customers bikes in for repair when complete, the mtb's on the bottom of the stand is stuff for sale, there is a Rocky Mountian Solo and an Orange Speedwork for sale on top, one used road bike bargain and a few retro bikes in process of being sorted.

showroom1.jpg

Back