so i started a bike shop. update 24/04/24

Re: so i started a bike shop. update 08/3/19

Amazing progress Jon - even if you are selling the devils (e)bikes ;)

I guess you haven't and don't need to consider expanding your online presence too much as you clearly have a strong base market locally. I'm curious, have you any competition from other LBS'? Do you keep an ear to the ground on that?

Re:

sorry i haven't been on to reply to the above comments, the shop has been mental busy for the early part of the year!

@grannygrinder s045 1ub, blackfield, i'm sure you know where that is, kettle will be on. ;)

@minifreak, as above, the kettle is always on

@Al, in regards to other shops, 6 miles north is another shop, in my opinion they are struggling, basically they are trying to be higher end when they should be mid range, that is a tough market to try to get in to as high end customers travel long distances to buy big money bikes, they have 3 or 4 high end bikes in stock, so not a lot really, so those high end customers travel to places like primera sport in bournemouth as they have 50 high end bikes to choose from so it makes more sense for these customers to make a day of going to look for their new bike, there is also hargroves 10miles north, mass market metal mover, and boost bike hub 10 miles west, a good shop but concentrates on hire bikes in the summer. there are a couple of others like GA cycles in southampton but he concentrates on repair and servicing. so obvs i started out concentrating repair, gained a reputation as not messing people about and doing good work, i then expanded in to the bike sales as that's what the customers wanted. we'll see what happens long term though, it'll be 3 years next month.

@xxnick, cheers, it's getting there!

:D

in general though the shop is still busy, in Jan/Feb/March i work 5 days a week but for the last 3 weeks i have been having to do late nights just to keep up so most evenings have been spent at the shop till about 930-10pm, saturday was a good day, an Orange Alpine 6 Pro went out the door, took deposits on a dawes gaalxy and a ridgeback hybrid as well as a lot of workshop jobs went out the door and i still took in 7 bikes for the week ahead.

dreading april 5th though, stocktake, go that is a boring day! :roll:

i do use instagram for the shop though so if you want to see what's going on then that's a good way to see what i'm up to and obvs there is a facebook page as well. :D

John

Will you be putting in the annual appearance at Mayhem complete with the Gixer and predictor skid lid ?

Re:

i might pop up, all depends on the shop, it's a long way on the bike though, and if i turn up in the van then i have somewhere to sleep!!

Re:

Most shops here (I'm in Argyll at the moment) constantly claim extortionate council set business rates for the premises are at such a level they threaten of many businesses. A few decent shops (not bike related) have gone under in the last year.

Is it a similar position where you are?

NOT trying to be pessimistic! Just curious.

Re: Re:

jonnyboy666":3uqdklj0 said:
@Al, in regards to other shops, 6 miles north is another shop, in my opinion they are struggling, basically they are trying to be higher end when they should be mid range, that is a tough market to try to get in to as high end customers travel long distances to buy big money bikes, they have 3 or 4 high end bikes in stock, so not a lot really, so those high end customers travel to places like primera sport in bournemouth as they have 50 high end bikes to choose from so it makes more sense for these customers to make a day of going to look for their new bike, there is also hargroves 10miles north, mass market metal mover, and boost bike hub 10 miles west, a good shop but concentrates on hire bikes in the summer. there are a couple of others like GA cycles in southampton but he concentrates on repair and servicing. so obvs i started out concentrating repair, gained a reputation as not messing people about and doing good work, i then expanded in to the bike sales as that's what the customers wanted. we'll see what happens long term though, it'll be 3 years next month.

Nice one. A lot of LBS' and retailers in general could learn a lot from this. Know your core business based on client needs and market opportunity. You've identified the niche and you're keeping tabs on what they and your buyers are up to, ready to adjust when necessary. Massive kudos!

Re: Re:

jonnyboy666":215jp5p0 said:
i do use instagram for the shop though so if you want to see what's going on then that's a good way to see what i'm up to and obvs there is a facebook page as well. :D

Any links for these?

Chapeau Jon, I've worked in bikeshops so know how hard it can be. Loads have closed recently great to see you doing well.

Re:

@mr panda, rates depend on the size of the premises and the amount of rent, my rent is low and the shop is small, as such i am under the threshold so i actually don't pay any rates. basically under £12,000 in rent and you get 100% discount, an that's very specific, it's 100% discount as opposed to free, it amounts to the same thing but the specifics of it mean the council/government could change this at some point.

@al, yeah, knowing what people want is very important, there is the element of "if you build it people will come" but you can't just stock high end stuff and expect people to turn up an buy it, it's slowly slowly but even if you do go high end you then shouldn't ignore or dismiss the lower end bike rider which is what a lot of shops do when they go high end

@peachy the shop instagram is @jonsbikerepair

https://www.instagram.com/jonsbikerepair/

@ctk :cool:

Back