so i started a bike shop. update 24/04/24

Re: so i started a bike shop.

Epic!

I assume you're on the main road in blackfield, just past the Tesco express as you're heading towards Lepe? ;)

What are you're opening hours? Do you have a website?

I'll pop by and say hi at some point!

Seriously, I wish you all the best with this!

My_Teenage_Self":3e2m3atq said:
Do you have a website?

That was going to be my top-tip: get your online presence sorted and keep on top of it. It's super critical these days. Get someone with skills to put it together, something visually different but simple to navigate. Keep on top of social media as well.

The other tip would be to check out some of the mid to large tier firms in the area, those that have secure parking and see if they'd be interested in any on-site bike repairs. We have a firm that does it where I work and a) they charge the earth (good for you), b) are always busy (folks don't 'have time' so will pre-book, good for you) and c) usually do a good job (you build up a reputation, good for you).

Just my 2 pence - super good luck!

Definitely going to have to visit, your just around the corner from my Gran's :)

Beautiful frames / bikes there buddy. Good luck with the venture.

al-onestare":3vycjs6y said:
The other tip would be to check out some of the mid to large tier firms in the area, those that have secure parking and see if they'd be interested in any on-site bike repairs. We have a firm that does it where I work and a) they charge the earth (good for you), b) are always busy (folks don't 'have time' so will pre-book, good for you) and c) usually do a good job (you build up a reputation, good for you).

Just my 2 pence - super good luck!

^^^ hell yes.

My missus works at one of the Southampton Uni sites, and they have someone go in there - a LOT of the staff use them, and when I heard the prices they charge, I thought they must be onto a good thing!

Got business cards? Get some. get business cards/Flyers in all the local shops. you know Hythe/blackfield/Holbury is a thriving little community - I think you'd be surprised how many roadies around here won't touch their own bikes (my next door neighbours as an example!). Word of mouth and a web presence will be your friend!

offer regular bike 'health checks' or annual servicing.

Do you do wheels? etc :)

Re:

thanks for the comments guys :D

the internet thing first, i haven't sorted a website yet, i will but there have been other things to get going with first, i've been home from NZ 5 weeks now and i've been open since the 6th of april and had the shop to convert the previous weeks to that. i didn't want to do a website straight away because i had nothing to put on it apart from an address! the phone line took ages to install meaning that until i had the number i couldn't organise stationary or business cards! it's all a one step at a time thing!

i have however sorted a Facebook page, which currently is up to 178 "likes" and only 1/3 are my bike related friends! Facebook has been really helpful as there is a local page for the area i live in which is invite and acceptation by admin only, this page has 7500 members and it's for people in the area to be community orientated, they allow small business' to advertise (once a week maximum for free) this page has brought in a lot of business and also the lion share of the "likes" only Facebook page.

i do see the internet even at a local level to be very important, and once things have settled a bit i'll be sorting the website, which will be basic, meaning location and what services etc i offer and contact details, frankly just an advert telling people to call as opposed to email etc as phone calls are just simply more immediate from a response point of view.

i also just sorted an advert in the local freebie area magazine called the Herald, it gets put out every 3 weeks and is free everywhere in the area, it's in every shop in the area not just news agents, it sounds a bit like a throw away paper but it really is everywhere and does actually get read because it's so specific to my area.

regarding the possibility of going to local business' in the area, there is one big issue, it's only me at the shop, i can't be in 2 places at once, also 1/3 of the people who come tell me to contact the refinery and see if i can service their bikes, while this seems like a good idea i am not so convinced, they have 300+ bikes, they need collecting, servicing and dropping back weekly (not all 300 at once obvs) this has several issues, the contract is put out to tender every 2-3 years, the management change their minds a lot, they usually go for the cheapest quote, and the previous bike shop that was where i am until he retired 4 years ago had the contract for 3 of the 17 years he was in business, which means he clearly didn't NEED the contract if he was there for 14 other years with out it. the other thing that puts me off is if they have 300+ bikes then looking after them even if it equates to 1 bike serviced each day then that reduces the amount of customer bikes i can do. i have however been asked by one of the smaller companies to sort their bikes, and they only have 10 bikes, this sort of thing is much more manageable.

usually my work rate is quite high in the workshop but being on my own means aswel as servicing i'm the shop floor guy, the phone guy and the ordering guy, the social guy, this reduces the amount of time i can actually work on bikes which means most days i have been at the shop till 7ish and i haven't even started doing the accounts yet as my book keeping lady hasn't started yet.

what i am is a realist, i know what amount of work i am actually capable of in what time, frankly i don't want to employ anyone for as long as possible if at all, if everything goes ok i'll not take a wage form 6 months atleast as i think this is the best way to ensure the survival of the business as i think people take too much money out of a growing business which is asking for trouble. luckily i can live off my savings for a while!

all in all it's quite exciting still and being able to make the choices i want for stock etc is refreshing as having worked at other shops and not necessarily liked the brands i was selling it's good to choose what i have experienced as brands that work, the other thing is having the freedom of doing what i want when i want and how, i don't have to defer to anyone.

@my teenage self, pop in whenever, the kettle is always on! :D

Back