so i started a bike shop. update 24/04/24

Re:

Hats off.

Its quite something to be fair, in our modern digital age. I think one of the hardest things to achieve is a profit in the bicycle shop business. No easy task. and you have found a path that not only leads to a living, but also you have done something good for the soul, and found a way to continue your journey in a way that suits you.

Many have tried and many have failed. Your formula is working and long may it continue.

Carl.

Re:

No idea how I missed this thread at all. But I can’t wait to read it all later today. It’s been a dream of mine to follow a similar model to you to escape my current career which has become a chore. Maybe I gain my inspiration later today.....

Re:

Its a shame my city doesnt have cycle shop like this anymore. we have big box souless shops where staff are at it for a job .

i miss the shops we lost.

loving this thread .

Doug

Re: so i started a bike shop. update 01/07/17

jonnyboy666":2nvnjprf said:
hamster":2nvnjprf said:
I've got to ride over and say Hi soon! I take it that the BB came off a bike found underwater in Ashlett Creek?

kettle is always on ;)

Good to see you today Jon, enjoyed the chat and thank you for the tea.
Next time I promise to buy something. :shock:

For everyone else, the place is packed with stock and looks great. There was a particularly gorgeous Tommasini with fancy lugs about to be built, so it's clear that Jon has the respect of the discerning. :cool:

Re:

so i haven't been on here much recently, the shop has been so busy that it's taking over completely! :shock: but i don't think that is a bad thing but it has been an interesting time since my last post on this thread.

ok, first things first, the VAT man, maybe he's not that bad :shock: i got a rebate from him the first time, it was a fair chunk of money because i didn't realise i could claim back the VAT on all the stock i currently had in stock, this totalled nearly £7,000! :D so i saved as much money as i could on top and went van shopping!

accidentally bought this, first brand new vehicle i have ever had, i love it:-
van damn by Dr. Branom, on Flickr

i would also point out that this does not mean i am earning a fortune, as i sold the old van which was personally mine i am now living off that money, and the new van is all through the business, i paid a big deposit and the rest in on finance for 4 years but the payment each month is half what i was paying myself so technically the business is better off until i have to start paying myself again when the van sale money runs out which for me should be about 12 to 18 months as i am generally a hermit!!

something else that was good is that i finally got my Gixxer back on the road!
IMG_9212 by Dr. Branom, on Flickr

i have also built 2 more Demon Frameworks bikes, the first is a retro styled bike, copper plated with cream paint, based on a Campagnolo Athena groupset with Royce hubs, H+son rims, Vittoria tyres, a Rene Herse chainset with Pauls component brakes.

IMG_9342 by Dr. Branom, on Flickr

IMG_9345 by Dr. Branom, on Flickr

IMG_9347 by Dr. Branom, on Flickr

IMG_9350 by Dr. Branom, on Flickr

IMG_9351 by Dr. Branom, on Flickr

IMG_9352 by Dr. Branom, on Flickr

IMG_9353 by Dr. Branom, on Flickr

IMG_9354 by Dr. Branom, on Flickr

IMG_9356 by Dr. Branom, on Flickr

IMG_9357 by Dr. Branom, on Flickr

IMG_9358 by Dr. Branom, on Flickr

Re:

so here's the second Demon Frameworks bike

nickel plated fully lugged frame, Enve carbon fork, bar and rims, chris king hubs and headset, campagnolo super record 12 speed, brooks saddle etc i think this bike was about £12,000 in total :shock:

IMG_9311 by Dr. Branom, on Flickr

IMG_9313 by Dr. Branom, on Flickr

IMG_9315 by Dr. Branom, on Flickr

IMG_9317 by Dr. Branom, on Flickr

IMG_9322 by Dr. Branom, on Flickr

IMG_9330 by Dr. Branom, on Flickr

IMG_9331 by Dr. Branom, on Flickr

IMG_9332 by Dr. Branom, on Flickr

IMG_9333 by Dr. Branom, on Flickr

IMG_9334 by Dr. Branom, on Flickr

IMG_9335 by Dr. Branom, on Flickr

IMG_9336 by Dr. Branom, on Flickr

IMG_9337 by Dr. Branom, on Flickr

IMG_9338 by Dr. Branom, on Flickr

IMG_9339 by Dr. Branom, on Flickr

IMG_9340 by Dr. Branom, on Flickr

IMG_9341 by Dr. Branom, on Flickr

IMG_9329 by Dr. Branom, on Flickr

Re:

here's the 2 bikes together as they came in both at the same time

IMG_9359 by Dr. Branom, on Flickr

IMG_9360 by Dr. Branom, on Flickr

i also got a group of guys together to hit the Alps as well, 10 of us in total, looking for 15 for next year if anyone is interested! great centrally locted chalet, fully catered. 7 nights, wifi, safe bike storage, aimed at mountain bikers but roadies welcome, this year it was £370 each based on 2 people sharing a twin en suite room, does not include lift pass or travel though but the food was awesome! :D here's a few pics!

apres ride beers at Bar Robinson
IMG_9421 by Dr. Branom, on Flickr

i had to buy the first round, 10 pints was 70 euro's, it was an apology as i'd inadvertently made them climb!
IMG_9420 by Dr. Branom, on Flickr

somewhere near Chatel
IMG_9419 by Dr. Branom, on Flickr

lunch stop
IMG_9417 by Dr. Branom, on Flickr

lift assisted!!
IMG_9414 by Dr. Branom, on Flickr

IMG_9413 by Dr. Branom, on Flickr

IMG_9411 by Dr. Branom, on Flickr

IMG_9409 by Dr. Branom, on Flickr

Re: so i started a bike shop. update 01/07/17

Why have you fitted a Tourney rear mech to a £12,000 bicycle?

88089.jpg

Re:

lol! i still sort of think that super record looks like that! shifting was lovely though i have to say :D

Back