slack hardtail recommendations? 650 or 29er

haggis":3b7k7nq8 said:
Read somewhere that the Kona Taro was a nice bike.

Yeah same as the honzo which is well reviewed but alu not a steel frame. As the honzo frame is about 7lb, no bad thing for me at 11st.

Re:

Last year the Trek was discounted in loads of places, not too far off that time of year again.

So here is where I am at. Sorry to bore people but for me, this is a hard decision as its a lot of money for me!

(1) On one parkwood (£999) great reviews etc, I like the 29er inbred, this is more relaxed so suits me more and I cant see whats not to like. With dropper post etc probably easiest to upgrade later to a new frame.

(2) Ragley bigwig (£240 frame only - estimated build about £900)- Frames are down to only £240 on CRC, steel is preferable to me over alu, could build it over time whilst riding retro over winter, search out the odd bargain. Even if not and I buy all new, with similar forks to the parkwood, could buy a new deore drivetrain and brakes and get it built for about £900 to a good spec. Cant ride one beforehand though..

(3) Trek Stache 7 (£1050 less 3% cashback) - on sale at the mo and rates really well. Has 142 bolt through rear so more future proof to an extent.

(4) Kona taro (£899) alu version of the honzo. Only available in large which is an 18.8" frame (not 19!) and at 6 1-2 I'm dubious that I cannot try before I buy - no local dealers in South West near me. Spec is a bit worse than above but probably holds its value as well as anything and has shortest chainstays so should accelerate pretty snappy.

I do like the Whytes but they are another £200 more, and to be honest, having been on a few 29ers think they are just as much fun.

Keep changing my mind, was set on a stache last night and now having cold feet again. Someone decide for me please.

letmetalktomark":2kzkzmzj said:
Spend more and build a Stanton Sherpa 853.

I have a few slight changes to make before revelling mine ;-)

Interesting.

Would struggle to get it built on budget though, unless I went for cr@p parts and ran it rigid.

What gives you the best frame, forks and wheel combination for the bike? The rest of the stuff can be changed out as it wears out. Personally I'd be looking at the nicest frame if it was me though as I'm like a magpie. Spend slighty more on the frame and shop smartly in the classifieds over on STW and pinkbike and you can easily build a super smart bike for £1k

letmetalktomark":144cy8zs said:
I'm going to be running mine rigid.

Fair enough. I like the short chainstays, but was looking at something more relaxed headtube wise to be honest.

Back