Skipped Fruit

andy.w

Dirt Disciple
Hi All

Found this today at the local amenity site, very very lucky/happy.
Can't seem to find the serial number. How do I go about dating it.
Could do with an original spec list/review. Looking forward to this build alot.
PA180521_edited.jpg

PA180522_edited.jpg

PA180524.jpg

PA180525_edited.jpg

you will struggle to identify the year from the serial number, if i remember right i read a similar post on here not so long ago regarding dating of an orange.

that person got in contact with orange directly and according to them they dont keep records of there frames for more than about 5 years and even if they did there system of serializing there frames is pretty random.

by the look of it tho its an old one, early '90s for sure.

p.s i hate you people who find such jems, i'd be lucky to come away from my local tip with a raliegh let alone a flippin orange. :evil: :evil: :evil:

Thanks

Will get in touch and see what they say. I can't find the number, any idea where it would be?

I'd date it at turn of the 90's I just looks like them. Also that LX groupset and being sold with biopace rings puts it about or before then.

Oranges did not really have 'specs' you could get any frame with any component set you wanted, Shimano LX, DX, XT or Suntour XC Ltd/Comp/Pro.

Since it has Shimano LX on it, and it looks fine, penetrate it then oil it.
Either service the Bottom bracket, though rust will probably have hit it so just put one of the cheap cartridge one in.

Headset, if it's smooth and not rusted grease her up.
There are plenty of 1" stems for sale and may be easier and cheaper then putting that one right
Shifter might work/might not you tell us.

front shifter seems ok but the rear is badly corroded and very stiff. I'll strip grease and rebuild and see what it's like.
Headset seems ok and BB spins freely. Again strip clean grease and rebuild.
Paint shoddy in places but I'll bead blast it and have it resprayed in the orange and white at a local body shop (he's very good).
I'm thinking of a girvin flex-stem, too used to suspension forks, but will keep things as original as possible.
Will keep you informed of progress.

Thanks for the advice.

If you like sus forks, you could always put RockShox RS1's on it ;) that would be period correct for a '91 build.
Though I breifly had an (well two) Oranges I couldn't tell you where the frame number is.
Normal place would be bottom bracket, but could be on the stays (near the BB) or wrapped around the bottom bracket.
Prbably rusted up so hard to find, lol.

serial number on my '91 prestige is on the lefthand side of the seat tube just above the BB shell.

make sure you get some frame saver in that beauty after its been resprayed.

Latest posts

Back