Skip Find! Saracen Sahara

Mahoney1978":ecdwxkei said:
Great find - good luck on the build.

Just out of interest how are you going treat the rust of the frame? I have acquired a similar condition bike recently and it has the same type of rust. I have been trying a bit of T-Cut which seems to work on the smaller bits of rust, but wondered if you had any tricks for the larger bits like around the head tube.

Also will you be trying to get the rust of the components/quick releases as well? If so what will you use? Wet and Dry??

Sorry for all the questions, just trying to get ideas.

Havent yet researched best way, probably was going to take it back to bare metal with the aid of kurust or rust remover, lightly prime and then touch up. Need to strip it to fully appreciate how bad it is.

Think the quick release collar is beyond saving. Rust on that and some components is awful.

Y'know for a bottom of the range little runter, the frame on the Sahara wasn't all that bad. One of those tubes will be butted (I'm not sure which one) and it is Tange tubing too. It's the components where Saracen saved money.

The kindest thing to do would be to scrap all the 200GS stuff and the seat, then build up a colourful single-speed hack, or maybe a seven speed.

I have to admit that my 91 Sahara does make me smile when I ride it. It's a bike you just can't take seriously.

drystonepaul":30gfavkh said:
Y'know for a bottom of the range little runter, the frame on the Sahara wasn't all that bad. One of those tubes will be butted (I'm not sure which one) and it is Tange tubing too. It's the components where Saracen saved money.

The kindest thing to do would be to scrap all the 200GS stuff and the seat, then build up a colourful single-speed hack, or maybe a seven speed.

I have to admit that my 91 Sahara does make me smile when I ride it. It's a bike you just can't take seriously.

Yep, you are of course right. Will be using yours as a template. More likely to go 1 x 7 then singlespeed given that I will be buiding this primarily for the wife.

The frame is great. I love the 1991 saracens, the hydrotech I briefly owned had the same mental graphics.

Not much to say that ain't been said other than: I really like that

Good work Coomber

Do what thou wilt!

Nice find!

I have some bits from a Exage400LX group set that might suit you, the cranks are pretty good. I have just put them up on e bay but will take them off if your interested.

heres the link for the cranks, then look at my other items for the rest. (just ignore the loveswing etc!)

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... :MESELX:IT

Also there is a ladies gel saddle on there too.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Amazing find! I have a skip about two minutes walk from my house, there may have to be a little research trip down there next weekend!!

Thanks everyone.

Right, bit of a pointless update but a comment had bumped it anyway.

I stripped it partially tonight, most of the gear is rusted through and as its the lowest shimano anyway, will head for the bin.

Rust is bad in places, anyone got tips on best restoration? My thought of stipping back to rust free metal, priming and touching up good enough? Any help on this most appreciated.

Gravy Monster is an absolute legend and has given me a set of XT cantis (yes I know!) for karma, and have some unknown shimano levers that look nice to go on it. Tempted to go single speed on it for cost and ease.

Nowt really to report. Taken the cranks off, called in the help of the local building company so I could use their crane for lifting them from the floor.

Any ideas how I take these bottom brackets off anyone?

Attachments

• IMG_4768.JPG
    IMG_4768.JPG
    123 KB · Views: 643
Yep, thats the same as the one I just took of. The locking ring around it should come off easy with a screw driver and hammer (there is a proper tool but not necessary) and then that will be about as far as you get!!

Apparently the opposite side is easier to get off, you need a big flat spanner, I think its 36mm and its reverse thread on that side. IF you can get that off then the spindle etc will come out and you can get lots of DW40 or plus gas in there to improve your chances of getting the first side out.

I took mine to the bike shop and they got one side out and then crushed the other side in a vice till it came out.

Once out it can be replaced with a cartridge type BB which is easy peasy to do and remove later if you have to.

Thought it was the same as mine. Hence why I asked!

Right, will give that a go this weekend when I can.

Back