Sizing advice Large or X Large

widowmaker

Gold Trader
Roberts Fan
Feedback
View
Hi all,

I have only ever ridden old steel Roadbikes, so need a little help with sizing.

Looking at getting a new road bike on the Cyclescheme. I'm 6ft with a 34" inside leg and the chart says I should ride a Large. I usually ride XL Mountain bikes the shop assistant also recommends a Large.

I am taking an XL out for a testride this afternoon, but a little worried I wont be able to know fully in that short-ish ride. And its not a cheap bike either.

My question is, is it better to have a Large that a little small or a XL large that's a little big ? Or is there a crossover point.

Last edited:
The new bike will probably have stack and reach measurements given, measure your current bike and compare. The problem with s, m, l, XL, etc is that they are never the same between manufacturers. But if inbetween two sizes, go with the smaller one.

I found with road bikes to size up rather than down like I would with a mtb. I'm a similar height to you and had a 56cm Planet X RT-57. Absolutely hated it. A few year later I got a 58cm Cervelo and that highlighted the problem with the PX was just that it was too small.

I'm similar dimensions, 6'5" with a 35 inch inside leg (thats 35 meaty inches ladies 👍 ).

You'll know just by being astride the bike whether or it its a proper fit. It varies from brand to brand as, just like quoted bike weights, the sizing systems are not universal, but typically I can get away with a 58cm road bike frame, and 60cm is spot on.

I struggle a bit with old retrobikes bikes. Buy one too small and leave acres of seat post sticking out and the leverage can and does break frames at the crossbar-seat tube junction. I've walked away from more than one bike because Ive turned up to view it and seen barely 3 inches of seat post inserted and a heafty rider doing the sale. Every single frame crack I have personally seen in the last decade has been there and all have had masses of exposed sestpost, so getting a proper fit is crucial.

In addition, if youre also heavy like me - about 19 1/2 stones - you might want to consider 400 or 450mm seat posts to maximise insertion (oooo-er Matron!) and speread the load.

Giant make some stunning bikes. Nothing flash or jazzy, just devastatingly competent machines that do the job without a fuss. Let us know how you get on with the new beastie.

Im the same...6'4" and very sceptical of short seatposts teetering on frames.....as i always say "if you haven't got 4" to put in......don't bother".

Especially on older steel i very often use a 440 post.....even if that puts 200mm into the frame...

As for sizing....im finding i very much need bigger frames as im getting older.....my 19" mtbs are now killers over 90 mins....its just too arse up head down.

Problem is the head tube not the seat tube.......but headtubes are always short especially on the "norba" generation of frames.

Try RM (as you know ) or Marin.....both had good 180 ish mm headtubes on their 20.5 / 21" models.

Good luck with the new bike.

6’ 3” here & my lightweight Urgestalt is 58cm & my Trek Madone is 56cm both fit me well but you need to look close at the geometry of your existing machine & workout & transpose this to the new frameset geometry you are looking to purchase. Be meticulous & you’ll get there

Back