Single speed MTB

Are they light? I've some White Brothers carbon forks at the mo, but I'm terrified my daughter is going to scratch them when she chucks her bike in the shed, causing a nice stress riser :(
The ride, though, is sublime - far smoother than the indy xc's on my other bike.

suburbanreuben":qr0dpojx said:
Are they light? I've some White Brothers carbon forks at the mo, but I'm terrified my daughter is going to scratch them when she chucks her bike in the shed, causing a nice stress riser :(
The ride, though, is sublime - far smoother than the indy xc's on my other bike.

They're not especially light - I've seen the weight with an uncut steerer quoted as 1,130 grams but whether that's true or not I can't say.
If so, then that's about 300 grams heavier than the White Bros carbon forks.
They certainly aren't as light as a pair of 395mm Triple butted Project 2, that's for sure. I have a set of those that I removed the canti mounts from and retrofitted a caliper mount to, but then decided that expecting them to cope with disc braking forces was maybe pushing it a bit and never used them.......

Took my SS Fisher (finished it on thursday) for it's first offroad ride yesterday.

Positive outcome, it rode smooth, the gear ratio is spot on for my local riding and it still rides as well as I remember. (I have owned the bike from new - 19 years)

Only negative was the brakes are not as good as I remember, especially the front which was giving some good old fashioned canti howl!

Good simple fun. So pleased I did it.

i've read throught this thread & found parts interesting, the parts about fitness & the effects of ss on it & also the 'try using one gear on your geared bike'.
when i was couriering, aged 17, in 1991, i only ever used 2 gears. i ran a 12-28 7sp cassette & used the 3rd 1 up from the bottom (16teeth?) with either the middle ring (for pulling away from the lights) or the big ring (everywhere else) these would have been 36 & 48 teeth. being young & daft, i treated the whole working day (8-6) as a training session & every hill as a challenge. my points are, that you can use a geared bike as a ss if you're bloody minded enough & it does have a positive effect on fitness/strength.
this was proved by results, albeit juniors. pushing 48-16 day in, day out on the road resulted in me being able to do the same off road, say round thetford (i did & still do live in norwich, so thet is fairly local) i was able to keep up with & sometimes see off very good roadies & cleared off in a small local race to win by 2 1/2 min.
i'm not about to rush out & build a ss, but the mentality can & will benefit OR riding. they do look nice tho in an uncluttered way.

I built this last year to try out since then it has evolved and now rides sweet as a nut, Perfect for evening chill out rides especially after a nice meal and a few beers, Just go for a ride and chill with some tunes on the walkman the simplicity of no gears is excellent. :cool:

Currently running 42 up front and 16 on the rear, suits me for my style of riding.

27062009025.jpg

Back