Simplex RD identification please

gerryattrick

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
I have this rear mech off an old Puch, can anyone Id it. I believe it's an LJ series but not sure which model or era.

(I know the rear of the cage is on the wrong way, put it together in the near dark last night :oops: )

Attachments

• IMG_2246.JPG
    IMG_2246.JPG
    61 KB · Views: 272
  • IMG_2245.JPG
    IMG_2245.JPG
    64.3 KB · Views: 272
I looked on Velobase and thought that might be the one as it was almost the same, but there is a slight difference in that the rear of the inner parallelogram plate is black plastic, without any model identification marks, whereas the Velobase one has all metal. Also there is writing on both the hex bolts on Velobase. I'm not sure how much difference that makes.

On reflection you're probably right and the difference is just down to the specific production run. Might be an early or a late model.

gerryattrick":16xs11vp said:
I looked on Velobase and thought that might be the one as it was almost the same, but there is a slight difference in that the rear of the parallelogram body is black plastic, without any model identification marks, whereas the Velobase one has all metal. I'm not sure how much difference that makes.

Must admit I'd not noticed that :oops:

There must be loads of variations on these probably depending on what parts Simplex had in stock. The parts must be dimensionally interchangeable between models. The back plate looks a bit like one from the later version of the Prestige which had the Delrin sandwiched by steel becase the early all-Delrin ones broke.

Guess how I know that....................... :roll:

Back