Simplex free hub springs - help needed

Having done thousands of these in the 1950/60s I can assure you that the pressure from a wheel nut or QR does help. apart from securing the removing tool.
Of course this does not apply to splined removers.

Thanks Keith. I've probably only done 100s in the 80's by comparison (when, funnily enough I worked with a Keith!). I was just interested in the engineering behind how pressure on the thread would help. If it is breaking any seizing between the threads, you'd achieve the same from a tap with a mallet prior to engaging the removal tool, without binding the threads together as would be achieved with the QR spindle. As I say, I'm not having a go, just interested in how this helps.

No seizing, just some 15 turns of thread which are very slightly released by the pressure.
In the 60s I used to buy Regina blocks in lots of 50 minimum. A new block and french bramptom chain was charged out at £1/12/6 pence (£1.70 ) which was the retail price of the 2 parts. I expected to do them in 10 minutes., most bikes did not have QR then. Rarely had a labour charge on anything.

Back