Show us your (Marin) Boingers!

Well, a few reasons really. Not all projects reach fruition, although this one was actually complete except for decals. The geometry was a gamble for me, and a move away from what I wanted the bike to do for me. After riding my Mount Vision Pro for 95% of my off road riding over the last few years, I've been able to very precisely analyse where it's lacking; whether it components or frame. There are a few key points I wanted to address, but use a new platform with which to do it on. The V-brakes aren't up to the job, the RS7 cranks could be stiffer, the 80mm SIDs could do with a little more travel, the wheels could be lighter, and I could run tubeless, plus the bars could be wider. Changing these would change the bike I love so much, hence why I wanted to create a new one - a super one! The Attack Trail is a beefier rear end, and gives more travel, but I'm not sure that's what I ever wanted, so I'm going to get another small Mount Vision frame and use that, because my old frame was perfect!

All good points. :) It's remarkable to me that this basic design is still being used, experimented on and generally mucked about with so many years after it's introduction. I am now keen to get hold of one of the Tara bikes, and a Quad link to compare them. My partner has just scored a TARA (Wolf Ridge 2003 ) and I have my eyes on a cheap quad link in my size on ebay. Having tried the TARA bike it's pretty much the thing I am looking for for more current riding ( more travel at each end and disks ) but having almost sold the Rift, and avoiding it, I am glad because it's perfect for the riding I used to do. And I'll be doing some more of that at some point ( plus it's a recreation of a bike that meant a lot to me)
I saw your frame on ebay - good luck with the sale, it's a peach :)

Re:

Not exactly original but this is a little project I've been working on. Picked the frame up off eBay about 6 months ago and been putting it together with a mixture of new and used bits. It helps having Merlin and Ribble just around the corner!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    193.6 KB · Views: 1,040
some really great photos here - makes me want to get a Marin FS :roll: Anyone know if Marin did any of these frames in sizes of 21 inch or larger?

Nice first post Gaz :) Having fun with it? Looks like a nice retro-mod build :) I'd be interested to hear more about it as well as how it rides:)

UZ: you deffo should :) They didn't make a 21 as far as I know but the 19s were absolutely enormous. They were measured c to c and have a fairly high BB. ( they measure out at 21 c to top)

Re:

Well, it's certainly been a learning experience!

The latest lesson being bottom bracket length that go with chain sets.

It still needs the gears and brakes properly setting up but had a tiny spin around the block and it did feel nice :)

It's been a long time since I've ridden a bike!

... I just need to figure out how to replace the rear shock now as the shock works is very bouncy!

Re:

One thing that is a little confusing is the amount of rear triangles!

I think there about 4 different types?

Re: Re:

legrandefromage":rduj5kqj said:
slightly worn bushes has put me off riding this at the mo, new shock on the way should help.

Are the bushings expensive to replace? I ask because I'm pondering trying to own one of these bikes.

Shock bushes or bearings?

Shock bushes are generally £20 to £30 depending on shock brand.

Bearings are £10.99 from Marin dealers. That's not dear for a decade of abuse in my mind, plus it takes less than 45 mins to change them all.

Back