Show us yer FSR's

Can anyone here that has tried both the 2001 enduro linkage and the BETD link on the Max Backbone frame
give me an opinion on which you liked best and why? And compared to the stock one (or any other link).

I have both now and I'm trying to decide which to try first since I'm getting ready to take
the rear triangle apart and install bearings in all of the pivots.

Probably have about 80% of the parts to start putting this bike together and I'd like to
start at the rear triangle. Of course I'll be doing some testing of my own once it's all
together and warm enough.

Oh, and I also have a seatstay from a 2001 fsr enduro with the disc mounts and cartridge bearings.
Would you guys put that on right away? I really like the stock seatstays looks and build,
but I'd also like to try disc brakes.

Thanks for any replies or opinions! :)

It's a 1998 FSR Elite Ground Control, pics of it on page 72 about halfway
down the page (the red one).
I'm fixin' to install the bearings very soon.

I have tried out the extended BETD mount off my old ('99) FSR elite on the Max Backbone (frame size: L) & found that it just pushed the seatpost waay too high to be comfortable, even on the lower of the two holes, as the pivot mounts are longer than the standard shock link. I've got my configured as an AM/XC-type bike anyway, so the regular travel link suits well (running an X-Fusion O2 air shock, 165mm e2e) with Magura Durin MD120mm forks up front.

The 'seatstays' on the Max B rear triangle are very sturdy, but light, so I'm using an A2Z brake adapter, bolted through the chainstay plate (which was pre-drilled). Also - Magura make some excellent hose adapters, as that Generation of FSRs don't have hose mounts..

lowslowandold":3rb9bd6f said:
can i run a longer ear shock with out effecting the bike too much? at the moment its 165mm?

I'd not risk it personally.
It was designed for a 165 i2i shock and the replacement links were also designed for a 165 i2i.

Up to you though if you want to try it.

A lot of longer shocks simply won't fit.. a 180 for example may bolt in, but the angles of shock & link would be pushing the shaft sideways at an angle so it will snap rather than compress..
The other issue is at the BB, there is a limit to how far rearward/downward you can angle the rear triangle, aside from the catastrophic effect this would have on handling, it makes it physically impossible to fit a longer shock.

Ahh cool cheers buddy

Well I bent my rear mech, so may be its time to update the transmission side of things. New shifters, mech's, chain and sprocket set, see what turns up if I can get a fox float with lock out then awesome.

Back