Show us what you did today, thread

Re:

Been looking at options for when Logan is a bit older. Like the look of the Tern GSD. Pretty much an ebike version of the Dummy but 20” wheels. Looks quite versatile, but pricey.

The Tern gets a great write up and another favourite is the Yuba, I think the e version is the Spicy Curry.
There is a couple of really good cargo bike pages on facebook and we like them as it is more about riding with kids as that is what the majority are used for, but they are just nice groups, there is none of the testosterone dick waving that pervades most of the cycling groups, no snobbery, just helpful and supportive. The Xtracycle facebook page and the Xtracycle website in general is a fantastic place to start.
The best ones are Cargo bike republic and bicycle touring with kids, but the other cool ones are I love my Surly Big Dummy and the Bullitt owners page.
On that front the Bullitt is a pretty cool machine and comes in an e version. It's a front loader rather than a long tail but gets a lot of worldwide support. For me if I was doing it over and also doing an ebike, I would go for the Yuba for a long tail or for the Bullitt as first choice. I love my Big dummy and it's been something that I am very thankful I could afford to do as it's not like the other bikes, this is more about Calebs adventures, so more his bike than mine.
There is the Big Easy that's been released by Surly which is an electric Dummy, but doesn't do anything for me. I would rather invest the money in a mid motor for mine if I wanted to go electric.
Like my Big Dummy it is an investment, more so than any of my other bikes, and mine was a bargain, but as long as you use it and have family fun then it is well worth it.

Jamie

Re:

Spicy curry looks good too but no local shops. Also quite long, I like that the tern is normal length. Carrying capacity obviously less but not a deal breaker.
Want something we can just head down to beach on with enough stuff for a morning, without resorting to car every time.
Plenty of time though, still 4-5 months before we can use anything like that and by then we’re into winter.

Re:

Funny, every time one of you types Big Dummy, I cant help but think they’re referring to Keith :)

Yeah, it is an unfortunate name really. Caleb and I were discussing that as we were riding and while he finds it amusing he doesn't think its very fair as it's such a nice bike.
Don't know what else you would call it though.

Jamie

Had spent a couple of hours over the weekend mucking about with the Jack Taylor as have been wanting to change things about for a while, just to make it a bit nicer ride.
Had been putting a few things aside over time for it and with having the Jack Taylor rides coming up next weekend down south I thought I better get my finger out. Not a lot of time as work has been brain zapping with some changes going on so not really motivated the last two nights but needed to get it at least rideable.
I was putting my Arabesque changers and rear derailleur on and while 6 six speed I was hoping that with the long cage mech and both being friction shifting that it would make the jump to 7. Unfortunately not, oh well 6 it is for now. I had straightened/tweeked and refurbed the original wheels (MA2) and fitted some Jack Brown tyres from Planet X. These are made by Panaracer and are the old Rivendall Jack blacks that Planet X bought the moulds. They are 700 x 33.5 and due to the clearances on the JT they fit perfectly even with mudguards. They are a slightly higher than normal volume but are very supple and feel great to ride on. A real bastard to fit though as they are so tight.
I also fitted my Nitto B36 randonneur bars, Nitto stem and fitted the non aero Mafac levers. Need another ride tomorrow to adjust the fit again to make sure before taping the bars. I was going to go with the brown tape that I had on before but now thinking I may try the white I have in the box.
Only took it for a very short ride tonight as I was late in again and had to finish cabling up the brakes and fitting the levers but it felt really nice. Very different as a lot of things have changed but a lot must be down to the tyres. It felt great before, one of my favourite rides if not the, favourite but now its just got a bit more fitted how I like. Need to leave on Friday night so I will probably just adjust and tape the bars tomorrow and that will do for the weekends rides.
Later I will most likely change out the Arabesque back to something 7 speed and also swap the Dura Ace chainset for the Stronglight triple I have.
Just thought I would share.

Jamie

IMG_1773 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

IMG_1765 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

IMG_1766 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

IMG_1767 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

IMG_1770 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

IMG_1772 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

IMG_1775 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

Back