show me the light!

ChrisG":2pc4wtfj said:
I was thinking that it would have to be modern to produce a descent level of light?

I had the 27.5 watt system and was more than what I needed though I wish that I had got the 45 watt system that came later.

The nightsun beams were very well sorted too with a good low beam for road and XC and a high beam for down hills and moron motorists.

I don't know what the wattages are on these modern LED lights..

i keep seeing lighting systems priced at well over £100,to me this is just throwing money away,these systems have a burntime similar to the cheap lead acid or ni-mh that cost just £30
Some may have 45watts of superbness but only last 50 mins on hi,wtf kind of offroad can you do in 50mins
li-ion, drain one of these and you have to buy a new battery,sure they have a good run time and leak power less than most but if you drain it completely or leave it on a shelf till it drains by itself ,it ruins the batters and you must buy a replacement[not something the manufactures tell you about]
Stick to the cheaper [and easily replaceable] set-ups

dyna-ti":iqosnkgz said:
i keep seeing lighting systems priced at well over £100,to me this is just throwing money away,these systems have a burntime similar to the cheap lead acid or ni-mh that cost just £30
Some may have 45watts of superbness but only last 50 mins on hi,wtf kind of offroad can you do in 50mins
li-ion, drain one of these and you have to buy a new battery,sure they have a good run time and leak power less than most but if you drain it completely or leave it on a shelf till it drains by itself ,it ruins the batters and you must buy a replacement[not something the manufactures tell you about]
Stick to the cheaper [and easily replaceable] set-ups

This is where the new LED lights win because they use much less power, I am just not up to date with the power of these top lights and the beam pattern which is also important...

ChrisG":23aexeht said:
I was wondering if any of you guys can recommend any lighting, especially if the 'Hope' lighting is out of your ball park.

I'm after somthing that lets me be seen and also see where I am going.

I use Hope Vision LED 2 with the Epic battery pack off road every week, can't be beaten IMO. Highly recommended

Attachments

• hope vivion.jpg
    hope vivion.jpg
    12 KB · Views: 1,038
I had the hope 2 led(now down to £145), which was great for the majority of night rides, but it couldn't throw light far enough ahead to keep up with my Yeti 575 on some sections. So i've thrown money at the problem and got the Hope4 :twisted:
Back on to the original thread; there's always lots of light threads on Singletrack, its worth looking at.
Heres one of the suggestions from one of the threads:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Q5-CREE-LED-2...39:1|66:2|65:12|240:1318&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
There is a guy on eBay USA selling Nite Rider Mi-newt Duals for about $170 which considering they are about £190 over here is a bargain. I bought a set a few weeks back (postage took about a week and I avoided the nasty import duty) and they are superb. I went for a midnight blast on the North York Moors with them on Sat night, they were superb and lasted almost 2 hours on full beam. Having 2 lamps gives you loads of set up options, they look great and are a 2 second job to fit and remove. Very light too. Only problem is they come with a US plug to charge them but convertors are available from Maplins for about £7. Highly recomended and an absolute bargain!

Si

Back