Shocking braking in the rain!

Back in the 80s I used to commute with a Moulton fitted with steel wheels. When I first used the Moulton in wet weather I noticed the very poor braking, but this improved greatly when I fitted Fibrax leather brake blocks. I have noticed that Fibrax leather blocks can still be bought on eBay, for example this supplier. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/25165721 ... mp;ff13=80

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Thank you all for some great suggestions and information. I have read this articlehttps://rceblog.wordpress.com/2010/11/2 ... rake-pads/ and now ordered some leather brake pads off eBay.

I really don't like using the Raleigh in the wet, because it takes so long to clean afterwards, but occasionally I just have to :)

I will report back in a couple of weeks, as to whether they work or not :)

Cheers,

Gunter.

Re:

Hopefully you report back otherwise we will have to assume to parked yourself in the back of a bus.

Re:

So much muck collects on the rims and shoes after a weeks worth of riding that the first rain seems to turn this stuff into slippery goo, a alcohol wipe-down of the rims and shoes to remove this stuff seems to help "some" for a little while. Just a thought, until your new shoes arrive.

Best Wishes: Mike

A quick update on this. The bike has been hanging in the workshop, so no riding was done during the winter!

I replaced the pads with the ones with leather strips. Went out yesterday in the dry, but happened upon a deep puddle...the brakes were just as bad after getting wet. So I think this one will just have to be for dry sunny days out!

Gunter.

Re:

If brake blocks become glazed, rub some T-cut on them and rub off. Softens the rubber and helps. Alloy rims much better. Even a cheap pair for wet weather possibly.

Simon

Latest posts

Back