Shimano shifting and indexing thread

legrandefromage

Bin Monkey
BoTM Winner
PoTM Winner
GT Fan
Feedback
View
Whilst rebuilding the Ernie Clements, I was frustrated by the lack of good quality freewheels with reasonable ranges and prices so I decided to go elsewhere.

Equally frustrating is the fact that I cant find a wonderful compatibility chart that gave all the cable pull ratios and mech movement - it was so comprehensive! If I find it, I'll post it!

So in short, wait for it, are you excited yet?

Here we go...

Any Shimano rear mech from the 1986 catalogue onward to around the end of the 10spd era will shift without modification, a 10spd cassette with clean precise indexing.

This includes MTB mechs up to 9spd (10spd MTB went to a different cable pull)

I know its a bold statement but I have been running old MTB mechs up to 9spd for years but had never got to 10 until very recently.

Obviously there are cassette size limitations but to be going on with, have a picture of the 1986 Ernie with its Dura-Ace 10spd bar end shifters running 1987 Deore MT-60 mechs, a SRAM 32 11t cassette

Now, sadly the same cannot be said about the front end shifting - they are the dark arts due to reach, cable pull and leverage.

Easily sorted if using bar-end shifters or downtube shifters but no good if using STi. However, if you use the correct front mech to match the STI shifter, it shouldnt be an issue.

I've yet to have the issue of the thin 10spd chain getting stuck between the chain rings either but always bare that in mind when setting up the chainset.

I hope this helps, It gives the opportunity to run some lovely ratios for touring or hilly cycling whilst keeping it all retro looking.

Feel free to add your own tips or criticisms but just bear in mind I wouldnt be posting this if I wasnt 100% confident that its all happy together

Attachments

• clement clements.jpg
    clement clements.jpg
    275 KB · Views: 1,072
  • 10spd mt60.jpg
    10spd mt60.jpg
    159.5 KB · Views: 1,071
Thanks Mark
Good to know as I have never dabbled in the mysteries of ten speed cassettes.
I have another of my tourers to build up and these days I tend to run triple chainsets but with this I may just be able to use a few of my old Dura Ace doubles for a while longer.
(That makes sense in my head)

Jamie

Another pro tip. If you have a 6/7 speed hub, you can fit either 8 of the 9 gears off a 9-speed set or 9 of the 10 gears off a 10-speed set. All fits in the confines of 126mm and no wheel modifications needed on an old wheel. Use 9-speed or 10-speed indexed downtube shifters and set the limit screws so it can’t shift into the last gear.

One trick to get Shimano shifters to run with MTB front mechs is to clamp the cable on the wrong side of the bolt. Ideally also file another groove to get it to clamp neatly.

Jamiedyer":17b6yh61 said:
Thank you for that. Filed away in the favourites for future use.

Jamie

Ditto :cool:

Back