Shimano - But what does it all actually mean ? If anything.

dyna-ti

Gold Trader
MacRetro Rider
Feedback
View
I dont think we've ever explored this one :D

The lettering, the model names ?
Take for instance Alivio ? What does Alivio mean :? Other than the buttery type spread you put on your toast

Or XT . We know XTR is XTRacing so does the XT bit mean or reference anything :? Cross(X) (T)Terrain maybe ? Look at STXrc. again there the rc stood for i believe racing, so what does the rest mean. Does it lend something to XT or vice versa rather.

Thoughts ? Speculations post them up :D

I've wondered about this sometimes too. Does 200GS mean "200 Gear Shifts (and then it's knackered)" ? :LOL:

Doing a bit of googling, it seems "Deore" means Deer in Japanese, that is why there is a deer head symbol on older and some newer XT pieces

As for the other letter's I don't think they really mean anything from what I can understand?
the Japanese just like to use fancy letters on stuff, look at jap motorbikes, cbr-gsxr-rgv etc

Of course I may be totally wrong :LOL:

Re:

yeah, but Jap motorbikes used to have cool names like "Gamma, Slingshot, ExUp etc).

I'd like to think theres a deep & meaningful reason behind the names of Shimano MTB kit, but I fear I'll be sorely disappointed, or it'll turn out to be some Engrish translation that means sod all :LOL:

Re: Re:

jimo746":3msooj6t said:
yeah, but Jap motorbikes used to have cool names like "Gamma, Slingshot, ExUp etc).

ExUp wasn't a motorcycle name. It was the name of Yamaha's power valve system for 4 strokes (Exhaust Ultimate Power Valve).

2011-APEX-EXUP-0216.jpg

i saw a tiagra fishing rod/reel the other day , i guess if i was choosing names i would want a unique name that if googled led only to my product ..

Re: Re:

FMJ":ctv73ja2 said:
ExUp wasn't a motorcycle name. It was the name of Yamaha's power valve system for 4 strokes (Exhaust Ultimate Power Valve).

I stand corrected :)

Deltabox then (I know it wasn't a bike, but the frame, but it's a cool sounding name anyway :D )

Also, I wonder about the origins of the newer groupsets from the big "S" ie. Hone (RIP), Zee, or Saint? :?

Latest posts

Back