Serotta Colorado CR - Retro Mod - Again

Re: Re:

LDP":3pj5588b said:
The frame is now safely Argos cycles awaiting a pro referb with her new decals from Velocals (the 1mm ones) and it won't be back unl Jan :cry:

However, this will give me a chance to have a proper think on how to do this build. I've already walked back on my original idea of modern 11 speed kit etc. The Campag Chorus stuff is destined for my recently acquired Concorde frame so that leaves this as a bit of a canvas again.

Which makes me think - what actually is retro? Retrospective (in my view) is something that is modern but mimics or echoes something that has gone before, most obviously in styling - the Fiat 500 is a classic example.

So I think that will be my challenge; to take an old skool frame, put functional and well designed kit on it so it is thoroughly modern (or more modern than 94 when the frame was made) but still give it the look of a classic / iconic retro bike. Large manufacturers are doing this all the time now (especially if it's only got 1 gear!) but they tend to just focus on the look and ignore the quality and function of the whole bike. A bit self indulgentbut but it will be, quite literally, my homage to Retrobike as I see it.

Nice ideas - I think a look at the MTb section is inspirational when looking at having something 'retro' yet modern and as a good homage to retrobike.

I'd personally be quick to look at makers like Paul Components, Phil, Ringlé and other American made retro /neo retro CNC stuff.

Re:

Sounds like a great plan to me too, and agree with ibbz about Velo Orange, Soma etc, some pretty nice classic looking kit around now

Re:

Little packages have started arriving in the post in anticipation of the frames completion in Jan. I've decided I want it to look retro with a 1970s flavour but using some quality late 90s / early 00s equipment to give it some proper usability / function.

I've managed to source a minty and very sexy Serotta ti quill stem and ti Syncros post to match:

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    30.5 KB · Views: 755
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    49.1 KB · Views: 755
Re:

Drive train will be a Dura Ace 7700 but with down tube shifters (also 7700) to keep the look with some 7402 aero levers and a 7402 1" headset. In a cheeky departure I've gone for some 7800 brake calipers as the I like the curved design and the superb function.

I also have a set is 7800 hubs and a 7800 10sp cassette. Now I'm sure that I could use the 10sp with the 9sp 7700 down tube shifter on friction only but will I get away with a 10sp chain on a 9sp chainset? additionally, will the shifter have 10 clicks and in it on indexed (unlikely)? A couple of pics of the 7800 calipers:

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    43.8 KB · Views: 746
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    41.1 KB · Views: 746
Sounds ace, I'm a big fan of 7700 and that stem, oh baby baby :shock: :shock: :shock:

Personally I reallyreallyreally wouldn't want dt shifters on a usable bike (sorry RetroPeeps, I realise that's close to blasphemy :oops: ), but if you're certain, why not just use a 9sp cassette? Unless a ten speed freewheel body is actually narrower, which I'll let you research! :LOL:

elPedro666":3gjqokn4 said:
Sounds ace, I'm a big fan of 7700 and that stem, oh baby baby :shock: :shock: :shock:

Personally I reallyreallyreally wouldn't want dt shifters on a usable bike (sorry RetroPeeps, I realise that's close to blasphemy :oops: ), but if you're certain, why not just use a 9sp cassette? Unless a ten speed freewheel body is actually narrower, which I'll let you research! :LOL:

I agree on the DT shifters, that's definitely a form over function thing and I'll see how I get on - it's not as though I don't have another bike to use :roll: I also hear you on just using a 9sp cassette (with spacer), it's just that I have a 10sp 7800 one in the spares box :facepalm: I'll just sell it and sort a 9sp one out.

Re:

Thought I'd give a quick update on this. Frame and forks now back from Argos and looking quite fine (if I do say so). Sorry (again) rubbish pics. The colour is actually a light ice blue not the grey in the artificial light!

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    39.5 KB · Views: 641
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    42.4 KB · Views: 641
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    35.9 KB · Views: 641
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    42.9 KB · Views: 641
Re:

I've also binned of the 7800 brake idea and defaulted back to 7700 and I have some nice NOS 28h Open Pro CD clinchers on order to go with the set of 7700 hubs in the spares box. I might get this done by summer :roll:

oooo yes I do like the Ice Blue! Should look fantastic against 7700 too - this is going to spectacular :cool:

Just keep telling yourself it'll be sunny & dry tomorrow - it's the only way to make progress!

Back