Serotta Colorado CR - Retro Mod - Again

Re: Serotta Colorado CR - Retro Mod

elPedro666":20e2qnj0 said:
pleasepleaseplease keep the paint and don't mess with the forks! I've nothing against a RetroMod - really a big fan of them when done sympathetically - but original paint is so much more desirable to my mind, and quill stems so much prettier to my eyes. One of my major beefs with modern bikes is the hideous ahead stems.

I'm putting modern(ish) Chorus on my Colnago Superissimo (10speed carbon with square taper cranks), think it's a lovely group without looking overly chunky and out of place on classic steel like, as you say, some can.

I second that - I knew it was racing green and it's beautiful - and is only ever original once.
And Ahead stems i think only suit mountain bikes and look off on a racer

Re:

Yes as above- keep the quill stem. Converting the forks is a mistake IMO all that expense for nowt gained.

If you want to go "ahead" then buy some carbon forks (I think Mizuno look great on retro frames)

Great project, looking forward to updates.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Re:serotta

Last night I put an ahead stem onto a quill converter,looked appalling,obv a correct fork would help matters if going down the ahead route,the best looking ahead stem ive seen is Velo oranges which is extended to replace stack spacers and Allen bolt hidden at front,if you have issues with getting correct position with a trad quill,Nitto do a 90{what some call a zero}degree length options seem a bit limited but it can help raise bars whilst keeping the classic look{dynamic 2}

A Ringlé quill road stem would look nice on the racing green. Is Serotta Anerican?

ibbz":uf7f45g3 said:
A Ringlé quill road stem would look nice on the racing green. Is Serotta Anerican?

Yes, the 94 cataloge scans on here have the range and this model in it. I do have a nice 3ttt Serotta pantograph we stem at home that suits. TBH, I'm leaning towards just rebuilding the bike with some new tyres, cables and bar tape and keeping it all 94 original! I can retromod something else as I'm beginning to agree with most on here that as I do have a good quality and complete original it would be a shame to 'fiddle'

Re:

I definitely think it could take a modern groupset and look/ride absolutely brilliantly, it was just the mention of repaint and fork choppage that made me freak out! :LOL:

Re: Re:

elPedro666":1cu8x01h said:
I definitely think it could take a modern groupset and look/ride absolutely brilliantly, it was just the mention of repaint and fork choppage that made me freak out! :LOL:

That's the point. By keeping the original paint and just putting a modern groupset on it wouldn't be a true retromod. It would just be an old frame with some shiny kit hanging from it - a bit like sticking massive alloys on a Morris Minor. Now, if that Morris Minor also had an entire new engine, paint job (with airbrushed flames) and a new interior it would be a hot rod.

Having given it some serious thought, my new rule is that you should only retromod something that is in need of some attention (that's now official LDP law ;) ) You wouldn't hot rod an original 1950s concourse condition Morris Minor (to stick with the theme). Likewise, my Serotta frameset really is in relatively lovely original condition so a return to its 94 spec is probably more appropriate. As mentioned in a previous post, I will retromod something that needs some attention instead!

So, this thread is now my official 1994 Serotta Colorado CR back to original thread! (Until I find something to scratch that retromod itch :D ).

Back