Serotta Colorado CR - Retro Mod - Again

Re: Re:

LDP":1a6gml4f said:
elPedro666":1a6gml4f said:
I definitely think it could take a modern groupset and look/ride absolutely brilliantly, it was just the mention of repaint and fork choppage that made me freak out! :LOL:

That's the point. By keeping the original paint and just putting a modern groupset on it wouldn't be a true retromod. It would just be an old frame with some shiny kit hanging from it - a bit like sticking massive alloys on a Morris Minor. Now, if that Morris Minor also had an entire new engine, paint job (with airbrushed flames) and a new interior it would be a hot rod.

Having given it some serious thought, my new rule is that you should only retromod something that is in need of some attention (that's now official LDP law ;) ) You wouldn't hot rod an original 1950s concourse condition Morris Minor (to stick with the theme). Likewise, my Serotta frameset really is in relatively lovely original condition so a return to its 94 spec is probably more appropriate. As mentioned in a previous post, I will retromod something that needs some attention instead!

So, this thread is now my official 1994 Serotta Colorado CR back to original thread! (Until I find something to scratch that retromod itch :D ).

Wicked!

That's why I asked if it were American and mentioned a period correct Ringle stem as an example - as I reckon this could do with a loving period correct fit - maybe with a theme - in my case, if everr I were to come across and own such a beauty as you have with that paint, I'd go for an American period correct and colour style scheme matched CNC build, Ringle, Paul etc - but these are just ideas and ultimately go with what ever takes you fancy! Lovely frame!

Re:

Okay, now I've gone firm on build it's time to crack on. Serottas of this era were often spec'd with Campag (or anything really as they were custom built and spec'd :facepalm: ) but I'm sticking with Campag in line with the nice Coors replica earlier in the thread. So, a little taste of some of the kit that will be hanging from it:

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    50.9 KB · Views: 817
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    39.3 KB · Views: 817
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    40.4 KB · Views: 817
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    75.2 KB · Views: 817
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    74.5 KB · Views: 817
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    46.1 KB · Views: 817
Re:

Great work, I love the kit you have picked for it. I rode my first bike with ergolevers the other day, loved it, I think the campag cable routing will suit this bike - really slick and looking at the frame again, I have to agree about repainting - the paint is lovely as it is with that green tint.

Regards,

Pat

Re:

A pair of Vittoria Open Corsa SC tyres now on order with some nice fizik deep brown leather (effect) bar tape. Both should set the green paint and saddle off nicely.

Any reccomendations for bottle cages? I seem to be struggling to find something suitable. Thanks. :D

Re:

$_35.JPG

;)

Re:

Eeek, on closer inspection of the frame it's got some nasty looking rust veining coming from the top tube cable entry and exit holes :cry: plus the BB lug. :cry: :cry:

It'll probably be fine but it is too nice a frameset to let slowly rot so a proper refurb is now in order. As per my previous post, by LDP law it means that as it needs some work I'm not constrained to keeping it completely period :cool: Dont worry, threaded forks are staying!

Re:

The frame is now safely Argos cycles awaiting a pro referb with her new decals from Velocals (the 1mm ones) and it won't be back unl Jan :cry:

However, this will give me a chance to have a proper think on how to do this build. I've already walked back on my original idea of modern 11 speed kit etc. The Campag Chorus stuff is destined for my recently acquired Concorde frame so that leaves this as a bit of a canvas again.

Which makes me think - what actually is retro? Retrospective (in my view) is something that is modern but mimics or echoes something that has gone before, most obviously in styling - the Fiat 500 is a classic example.

So I think that will be my challenge; to take an old skool frame, put functional and well designed kit on it so it is thoroughly modern (or more modern than 94 when the frame was made) but still give it the look of a classic / iconic retro bike. Large manufacturers are doing this all the time now (especially if it's only got 1 gear!) but they tend to just focus on the look and ignore the quality and function of the whole bike. A bit self indulgentbut but it will be, quite literally, my homage to Retrobike as I see it.

Back