Seeking suggestions for a retro MTB frame for XTR 960 groupset

memb544

Dirt Disciple
Hey retrobikers!

Just snagged a Shimano XTR 960 groupset including the shimano wheelset and I’m stoked! This is my first full vintage groupset after putting together a few commuters from cheap parts I could find.
I’m now on the hunt for a matching hardtail frame from the late 90s to early 2000s to put the dark grey components on. Perhaps something that had XTR from the factory? I looked through a few catalogs from that era, but could only find full suspension bikes.
I’m after clean lines and a sleek look, with plans to keep it as a collector’s piece, maybe sell it in a few years.
Any suggestions or offers are greatly appreciated!

Cheers

as XTR 960 are 2005-2007 vintage, I would check brochures here in the archive of that area.

If you decide on a full sus , I’ve got a Santa Cruz Superlight 2 frame in ano silver from 2001/2

If you decide on a full sus , I’ve got a Santa Cruz Superlight 2 frame in ano silver from 2001/2

That would look good.

A Cove Hummer would look great, but good luck finding one that hasn’t cracked, bent or just generally trashed.

I think it’ll be difficult to find something worthy of the groupset from that era. Lots of good early survivor bike as technology moved so quickly, bikes were superseded all the time and older ones put away before they go trashed. I know from my history by the time the early 2000’s came round, I was keeping bikes much longer and as they were more robust, riding them a lot harder.
Don’t get me wrong, there’ll be frames out there but most probably in need of a re spray.

Back